Saturday, July 17, 2010

SCARS

Every time I mow our yard, I end up with a scar - or two - or three. There is buckthorn all around the perimeter of the yard and the needles are vicious. I should wear long sleeves when I mow, but on really beautiful days (like today), it just seems wrong to be out there all covered up.

It got me thinking about scars. How they are really signs of ownership. Signs of trial ... hard work ... accident ... in some cases, God's marks of ownership. Is that controversial? I don't know. Maybe it is.

Here are the scars I have on my body:
On my scalp --- from a car accident at age 5 and had many stitches performed after they opened my scalp to relieve a nerve pressing on my brain. Fortunately, my full head of hair covers up that one.

On my left hand - fingers three and four --- from when I was a kid carrying a ping-pong table folded up with a friend and the table unfolded with my fingers stuck in the cracks.

On my left hand - pinkie --- a scar that goes completely across the back of the finger when my half-brother shut the car door on my finger when I was about 2 years old.

On my forehead --- a round scar from when I threw a pipe in a stream and it bounced back up and hit me in the forehead. As I grew, the scar travelled up into my scalp.

Up and down the sides of my jaw --- from a teenage life of some pretty serious acne.

Marks of ownership.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of outer scars, as well, but I am an introspective person. I am far more interested in the scars we have inside...and how much love and giving it takes to heal them. I know that knowing you has healed SOME scars for me....and my hope is that I have returned the favor.

I think that is one reason I love counseling, because it helps me to understand why and to heal as as well. It tkae time to chenge 48 years of living, though. :)

Anonymous said...

I just read the book The Shack and one of my favorite lines is when God says, "Love always leaves a significant mark."

It is true! The people that I loved the most in my life, leave beautiful memories, undying love, and even some pain...but I come away a different and better person having known them.

Great book, BTW, I highly recommend it as a work of fiction. It warms the heart!