Thursday, July 22, 2010

BRITNEY


Joelene and I were watching TV while eating dinner in our living room the other night - an activity we increasingly do now that our children are gone ---- and the show that happened to be on was one of those Entertainment Weekly kind of programs.

I know it's labelled entertainment, so there shouldn't be any big surprise about the information coming at you. But, just before we changed the channel, it struck us odd that people really seem to care a lot about Mel Gibson's latest tirade. They're interested in what Denzel Washington wore to the grocery store or what kind of dog Keira Knightly walks around the park.

I will admit we probably all have some kind of fascination with celebrity. I remember seeing Tony Orlando in an elevator once (OK ... definitely showing my age there) --- or we catch sight of Jennifer Lopez shooting a film on a trip to New York --- or Leonardo DiCaprio walking in front of the Capitol in D.C. You've probably seen a celebrity or two in your day.

But celebrities are a relatively new class in our culture. Celebrities didn't exist prior to the invention of the photograph. Former generations had 'heroes' -- people well-known for their acts of bravery or brilliance or creativity or self-sacrifice. Heroes earned their status. Celebrities, on the other hand, are well-known for being .... um ... well-known.

We know who Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan and Taylor Lautner are. But other than appearing on a big screen somewhere, we'd be hard-pressed to name a single accomplishment. We have the power of the 'image' to thank for that.

In the 19th century, most people considered photographs almost as an exciting kind of magic, but certain African tribes believed (and still do) that the camera/photograph possessed agents powerful enough to steal your soul. The Amish rejected (and still do) the photograph for fear it will develop in people excessive vanity and pride. Neither group is entirely off-base.

Take Britney Spears. Photographs have made her into an object rather than a person. Frankly, when I GOOGLED her, I was hard-pressed to find a picture suitable to post on this blog. Sure, she may have sought the limelight and then started believing her own image but eventually she lost sight of herself. I don't believe who she became was who she started out to become.

I don't think that is uncommon either - and you don't have to be a big-time celebrity for that to happen. Without a center, Britney's life started spinning out of control with some disastrous consequences. Maybe she craved the fame. She certainly worked hard to attain it. But the images give and the images take away. She is now a persona, not a real person.

So it turns out -- the Africans and the Amish -- were right. Sort of.

One thing is for sure. We need a center -- a TRUE NORTH -- that is reliable and steadfast and that cannot be shaken.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I used to live near LA for so many years, I went thru a phase intitially when I was a little star-struck, but then, the more you find out about them...on and off camera, it fades.

I used to work at Marriott Desert Springs Resort, near Palm Springs and I saw several stars and helped them shop sometimes. I waited on Tony Orlando there, too...small world.

So...did you really see Leonardo DiCaprio??? Ok...his character may not be stellar, I really have no idea, but I love his movies and his intelligence and acting ability. He is my favorite actor of all time.

In all of my years in CA, there is only one autograph I ever wanted...and I got it, too...with a great picture of us, too. That was AC Green, of course, but he really is hero-worthy.

I would never want to be famous and have everyone scrutinizing my every move. I like my privacy too much. How is it being a pastor of a huge church? You seem to handle it with grace and seem very normal...lol. I know I say that about you often, but you just are. And I love your transparency...it is awesome. You walk the talk...and share it with us, too.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting post. I actually think about this alot. Every other year or two, my husband and I are cancelling cable at my request because I get too caught up in other people's lives (i.e. celebrities) and I don't pay enough attention to my own. I'm finding myself nearing that state again, and it freaks me out. I ask myself, "Why do you care? It's just another person?"

The other thing I struggle with is getting too obsessed with beauty. I find that the influence of Hollywood has alot to do with that. I need to be obsessed with God, my family, and my integrity.

Anonymous said...

It is very sad and true in all every one had posted, I agree. All these people have total access to reach out publically to the world about Jesus, they don't. But then, how would they be able to accomplish this without being self glorified?

Anonymous said...

Too bad, they could use this exposure to the world and introduce JESUS! But, how could they,,,they are self glorifying.