Monday, June 28, 2010

MANDELA


Here are Nelson Mandela's Eight Principles of Leadership ... worth pondering:

1. COURAGE is not the absence of fear ... it is inspiring others to move beyond it.

2. Lead from the FRONT ... but don't leave your base behind.

3. Lead from the BACK ... and let others believe they are in front.

4. Know your ENEMY ... and learn about his favorite sport.

5. Keep your friends CLOSE ... and your rivals even closer.

6. APPEARANCES matter ... and remember to smile.

7. Nothing is BLACK or WHITE.

8. Sometimes, QUITTING is leading, too.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I add one more? I found this by Googling it and I believe that you embody this quality and that is probably the biggest reason I chose to follow you as a leader.


"A good leader has an exemplary character. It is of utmost importance that a leader is trustworthy to lead others. A leader needs to be trusted and be known to live their life with honesty and integrity. A good leader "walks the talk" and in doing so earns the right to have responsibility for others. True authority is born from respect for the good character and trustworthiness of the person who leads."


I completely agree that things aren't always BLACK OR WHITE. Usually there is a meeting ground in the middle.

As far as APPEARANCES mattering...that may be a problem I have. I have always walked to the beat of my own drum and don't bother myself with how I appear to others, but who I see when I look in the mirror. Do I have character and integrity? Am I an honest and trustworthy person? Am I a loving and compassionate person? Those types of things. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but in the overall scheme of things, I believe I exhibit those ways of being.

Personally, I don't waste my time worrying about enemies or rivals. The only exception being, if I have a chance to work out our differences and make a friend. Then I prefer that, but I would rather shine by my own example than to worry about what someone else is doing.


I think you are a great leader, but I'm not a leader. I am a better supporting cast. :)