Wednesday, June 9, 2010

DECADE IIIb

Yesterday I talked about some of the downsides of being in ministry nearly three full decades now. Some things have changed over the years - from decade one to decade two to decade three. But not all of it has been on the downside. Much of it has been marvelous and there actually several things I like BETTER about the third decade of ministry over the two decades before it. For instance:

My priorities are right(er). What a relief that I don't feel I have to 'prove' myself the way I used to feel I had to. I am learning to measure success more by obedience to God than by visible results.

My faith is deeper. God has been amazingly faithful to me and I recognize that. I want to serve Him in greater measure than I did 10 or 20 years ago.

I have some meaningful relationships. I have finally come to understand the power of having them.

There is an assurance of God's power. I used to think I had to forever be 'awesome' for people to come and stay. Now I'm just thankful that teaching God's Word and loving God's people seem to be enough to get it done.

I have a broader perspective. Nothing replaces experience. There is always talk about the 'old guys,' of which I have now become one. I have a coaster on my desk that I shove right out to the edge whenever one of the younger staff (which is now nearly everyone) comes into my office. It says: 'No wise man ever wished to be younger.' 'Nuff said.

I know what a great wife I have. I wish I would have come to this conclusion far earlier. She deserved me to. I know now what a great treasure I have in Joelene.

Here's to ministry decades four, five and six ...

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have to take off for work, but you just have to be yourself....and it ends up being pretty swesome just like you are. Transparent and wise and just a good role-model. Have a fabulous day, PK! LOve ya!