Tuesday, June 8, 2010

DECADE IIIa

There were some things I really hated about the third decade of ministry, which I'm in right now. Actually, I'm just about to close out the third decade and start the fourth, which is really frightening. I should probably be really wise by now, right?

But the third decade brought some unique challenges ...

Mistakes were more expensive. They impacted more people than mistakes in the first and second decades of ministry.

Values tended to erode. Others serving with me are doing work I used to do - and they're doing awesome. But it takes more work to guard the values and purposes of the church with so many doing their thing.

There were more personal demands. This didn't get better over the years; it got worse. A lot of people want a lot of things - and time, too.

Ministry baggage piled up. Church began to accumulate in the third decade. It became increasingly important to prune things that were ineffective or outside the vision.

The returns tended to diminish. Things that used to work like a charm didn't work nearly as well. Rather than saying, 'How do we make that old thing work better?' we needed to ask: 'What new things need to be attempted?'

I had to recognize my weaknesses. I'm learning to grow thru significant points of vulnerability, being surrounded by some people who are really good where I have never been good.

Tomorrow -- the UPside to the third decade.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Merry said...

Wow...your honesty never changes PK...many of us in our 3rd decade as professionals see so much of what you're publically stating, and I, for one, thank you!

Anonymous said...

PK...I think it is good for you to share the areas in your ministry that can be difficult. It reminds us, or at least me, that you are a person with needs of your own. You do give alot of time...in preparing awesome services, your blog and FB posts. And yet you have other areas behind the scenes to attend to, in addition.

I have gotten caught up in my own needs for feeling part of a church family that I didn't experience in my real family growing up and I looked to you as like a "head of the family", so I hoped for more time than you could give. I think it is a double-edged sword. If you weren't such an awesome person, then I wouldn't care, but then because you are, other people feel the same, so it can be overwhelming.

I've tried to give you lots of support and love in the time I have known you. I hope that you could sense that. I'll be praying for you that your joys and successes far outweigh your burdens.