Thursday, May 13, 2010

RICHER

I went on a website the other day and found out that I am within the top 50,000,000 richest people in the world. I'm inside the top 1% of wage earners in our entire WORLD!

Now wait! That doesn't mean I'm really rich by U.S. standards. I'm not. It means all us Americans are rich. It's all about perspective.

For instance --- $8 could buy ME 15 organic apples ... or ... 25 fruit trees for farmers in Honduras to grow and sell fruit at their local markets for income.

$30 could buy ME a "LOST" dvd box set ... or ... a first-aid kit for an entire Haitian village.

$73 could buy ME a new cell phone ... or ... a new mobile health care unit for AIDS orphans in Uganda.

$2,400 could buy ME a pretty spectacular high-def TV unit ... or ... schooling for an entire GENERATION of children in Angola.

Just something to think about.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this website, as I was curious where I came in. It turns out I am among the top 7.48 in the world. I was a little surprised, as I don't make very much money. However, I have good insurance and am putting money into my 401k every paycheck, so that feels good. My heart goes out to those in desperate circumstances. How was I so blessed to live in America and not someone else?


I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but there is a great organization called KIVA. For as low as $25 you can help provide small business loans for people in underdeveloped countries. They pay it back over time. I have done this a few times and I always got my money back and helped someone to be able to support themselves. It is along the lines of Heifer International. Which I also have donated to. I like the idea of helping someone to become self-sufficient. Just a thought.