Monday, May 31, 2010

MEMORIAL

Memorial Day has become a mixed bag in America. It is a day for picnics, being on the lake, going biking, eating with family and friends. It is also a day for going to cemeteries to place flowers on graves of loved ones and give thought to the lives they shared with us. It is again a day for hanging the American flag on your porch and for remembering those who have given the ultimate price in service to our country.

For me, it's a day to remember Grandma, who made it to heaven last summer at age 96. She's not 96 in heaven. She's only about 10 months old there, with a long ways to go. Here's to a great lady - self-sacrificing - loving - caring - funny - Godly - energetic - and someone who could make a mean apple pie. Love you, Grandma. We miss you. Your 'pride and joy.'



Here is a Memorial Day tribute to those who have served our country so faithfully as to lose their lives in the service of it ... "All gave some ... some gave all."


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I hear you speak of your Grandma, I can hear the love and how she was such an important part of your life. I hope you find comfort today in knowing she is in Heaven waiting to see you again.

PK...I always thought when we die as Christians, that we will have a glorified body...much like we were at our best. Is your understanding different? Will we become re-born in a physical sense? Just wondering. I want to be 30 again...and to stay there, physically speaking.

I have had 2 uncles, and a brother and SIL, who served our country. Sometimes, when I am out and about, I see these very young men in uniform. Sometimes, I make it a point to reach out and shake their hands and thank them. Sometimes, it breaks my heart to see such young people risking their lives and putting it all on the line for me...for us. I have such admiration and respect for all of them.

PK's BLOG said...

Yes, the Bible speaks of glorified bodies. I don't know that is 'much like we were at our best' though. It's a nice thought, but the Bible is not definitive about what form the new bodies will take. You read a lot of books with authors claiming with great confidence about what our new bodies will be, but most of that is pieced together and - I am sure - not going to be accurate when we get there. Suffice to say - at our best? - well, I believe it will be a body at "GOD'S BEST," which will far outshine whatever we think our best on earth was.

Anonymous said...

Well, I just hope that loved ones will recognize me and vice-versa. I don't mean to sound flip or even too vain, but I kind of hope "God's best" is me with my long blonde, highlighted hair and a size 6 again. :) Wish I could say I am joking, but that was when I felt the most beautiful, on the outside. I really don't want to look like anyone else, just me, when I was pretty and thin.

I hope I have the spirit inside of Mother Theresa. Pure love. The first 2 years after I was saved, I radiated love and spread it to the people I met.

Do you ever have times when you hunger deep inside to go there now...today? I long to see Jesus, face-to-face, and give Him the biggest hug ever and just sit at His feet and listen to all He says, until my heart feels full and then to go out and serve Him in any way He wishes.

MOM T said...

Thanks for your tribute to your Grandma. You were her pride and joy from the moment you were born, and that just grew and grew as you got older. I miss her too, but knowing where she is, makes it a lot easier. I just want to live my life pleasing in the sight of the Lord, to be able to meet her in the sky some day