Saturday, May 15, 2010

KFA

We were talking the other night with some folks about whether or not we should call our church KFA (www.kenoshafirst.com) or just stick to the full Kenosha First Assembly. I have noticed that almost all the newer people to our church are calling it KFA right away. It's the more long-standing members who haven't switched over to the acronym.

It was also mentioned how it may be a bit of 'insider' language. Do guests understand what KFA really is when we say it in church? Are they out of the loop then?

Good questions.

Having said that, there are dozens of companies that use acronyms or initials in their names, but I wonder how well YOU know what the abbreviated letters mean?

1. CVS

When the pharmacy chain was founded in Lowell, MA in 1963, it was known as “Consumer Value Stores.” Over time the name became abbreviated to simply CVS.

2. K-MART

pastedGraphic.pdf

Longtime five-and-dime mogul Sebastian Kresge opened his first large store inGarden City, Michigan in 1962. The store was named K-Mart after him. (By the way, he opened up this brand-new venture at the tender age of 94.)

3. IKEA

The Swedish furniture giant takes its name from found Ingvar Kamprad's initials conjoined with the first initials of the farm where Kamprad grew up, Elmtaryd, and the parish he calls home, Agunnaryd.

4. JBL

The speaker company is named after its founder, James Bullough Lansing.

5. BVD

The stalwart men’s underwear maker was originally founded by a group of New Yorkers named Bradley, Voorhees and Day. Eventually the trio branched out into knitted suits for men, and their wares became so popular that 'BVDs' has become a generic term for any underwear.

6. DHL

pastedGraphic_1.pdf

In the late 1960s, Larry Hillblom was a broke student at the University of California law school. So to pick up a bit of extra cash, he would make courier runs from San Francisco to Los Angeles. After he finished law school, he decided the courier business was the real racket for him, so he and a couple of pals - Adrian Dalsey andRobert Lynn - began making delivery trips in a single Plymouth Duster. The company took off and they named the new business after their respective last initials - Dalsey, Hillblom & Lynn.

7. 3M

It gets its name from its roots as a company that mined stone to make grinding wheels. Since it was located in Two Harbors, MN, the company was known as Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing -- later shortened to 3M.

8. H&M

pastedGraphic_2.pdf

The beloved clothing store began in Sweden in 1947. Founder Erling Persson was only selling women’s clothing, so he called the store Hennes - Swedish for 'hers.' Twenty-one years later, he bought up a hunting supplier named Mauritz. After the acquisition, Persson branched out into men’s clothing and began calling the store Hennes & Mauritz, which eventually became H&M.

9. A&W ROOT BEER

Roy Allen opened his first root beer stand in Lodi, CA, in the summer of 1919 and quickly began expanding to the surrounding areas. Within a year he had partnered with Frank Wright and the pair christened their new product “A&W Root Beer."

10. GEICO

The gecko’s employer is formally known as the Government Employees Insurance Company. Although GEICO has always been a private company, its name reflects its original purpose: Leo Goodwin founded the company in 1936 to sell insurance directly to employees of the federal government.

11. P.F. Chang’s

If you go looking for Mr. P. F. Chang, you’ll be searching a good long time. The Asian dining chain’s name is a composite of the founding restaurateur Paul Fleming's initials and chef Philip Chang's last name.

12. H&R Block

Brothers Henry and Richard Bloch began their tax preparation firm in 1955 in Kansas City. Their only problem was their last name. They worried people would mispronounce it as 'blotch,' hardly a term you'd want associated with your tax return. They decided to sidestep this problem by spelling the company’s name 'Block' instead, so nobody could possibly get it wrong.


So - after all that -- I think I'm going to stick with KFA.


And be blessed.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I also like Kenosha First, which reflects the latest address changes (email).
Makes me think of our church as well as how we put community high on the priority list.
Gotta love KFA tho' saves typing. It is not exclusive to those of us attending. When I tell people where I attend, I have had people say - oh you mean KFA!!
Blessings back!

PK's BLOG said...

We should do some research as to why churches were called "FIRST" anything. There's a reasoning behind that that goes back a few centuries now. Quite frankly, it isn't real complementary to today's society and probably not a name that would be preferential if you just starting out today and trying to connect with the upcoming generations. They do not 'click' with names that suggest supremacy and/or exclusivity as the word "FIRST" communicates to them.

Bob W. said...

I second the second comment regarding first in a name! There are many First Assembly..... Churches. They can't all be first!

Linda Ann Nickerson said...

Intriguing ideas ... although I have to say I love to see the sign out front ...

Kenosha First Assembly OF GOD

After all, aren't acronyms really most meaningful to insiders? What does that say to everyone else?

Scotty said...

I have a real problem with both KFA and Kenosha First. To begin with they both leave out the GOD. What, is he not worth mentioning in the name any more? To me it's like "Happy Holidays" or "X-Mas". Secondly it's not Kenosha first it's God first. Ever since we started to leave God out of the picture I have noticed a lot of people leaving the church, more grumbling, about things and less of the Holy Spirit. In case no one has noticed there hasn't been any speaking in tongues or anything like that in a while. That troubles me.

PK's BLOG said...

LINDA:
You're always good for some thought-provoking moments. Thank you.

I'll talk out of both sides of my mouth on this. I'll agree that acronyms seem to be insider language. That said, they haven't done much harm to DHL, H&M, A&W, JBL, GEICO or hundreds of others. If you let enough people know, they know you more by the acronym than by the actual name. So it can work.

I think suggesting that OF GOD makes us Godly is full of holes. Probably not even what you're saying. God isn't there because His name is in the title; nor is His presence assured if it IS in the title.

I adore our church and am called there - but we have to keep thinking 'out of boxes' a bit.

All three of our church names can be called into question ...
KENOSHA -- barely half of our people are Kenoshans, though our address is Kenosha. As we go forward planting churches after the KFA BIG IDEA, 'Kenosha' in the title may be even less desirable if we hope to link our future churches together with us, name-wise. I would hope to do that somehow.
FIRST -- Speaks of supremacy and exclusivity. In fact, the story of why churches were named this starting way back in the 1800s has its roots in this idea. There are no new churches being planted with FIRST in the title. You have to ask yourself why? And it isn't because every community already has one.
ASSEMBLY -- just simply a word that is no longer in use much in our English language. Even in schools, which is the last place I remember using it growing up, it isn't used much at all today. SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED is the final holdout. LOL.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!! LOVE TALKING ABOUT CHURCH!

PK's BLOG said...

SCOTTY:
Thanks for responding. I don't typically answer back all of the comments, because I like to just let people talk, but I'll just a word on yours.

I commented on the GOD OUT OF THE TITLE issue on my response to Linda.

We have never left God out of the picture at KFA. He still remains first - not only in my own heart personally but in the church. That's never going to change.

In fact, quite the opposite is true. We have never experienced the people coming to Christ and the growth than we are experiencing in the church right now. I am so thankful to God for His moving in these ways. Keep praying for us. Thank you, my brother.

Karen said...

Violently wrestling in love....Have been thrown into some of these conversations lately and sometimes it makes me a little heartsick, when I feel that people I love are questioning the "rightness" of the way other people I love are pursuing God... and even makes me have to wrestle with my own leanings...but God certainly wants us to keep examining our motives and direction and hearts and not become complacent or too sure of ourselves....I SO knee-jerk with the concern about First intimating exclusivity or supremacy...I get it for "today's society" and the "upcoming generations" BUT I do not apologize for believing that Jesus is exclusively the way the truth and the life and the only way to the Father who is the one and only "supreme" God....Just as Franklin Graham did not back down from his assertion that Islam is a false religion, I pray that we can stand tall in the truth which, while being exclusive and supreme, is available to all.
Sorry for the meandering - I think most of you will follow my communication...I don't care about the use of the word First in the name of our church - I just don't agree with the "problem" it poses for some. Let's just call it "Church" - uh, oh - I'm getting tempted to be a bit sarcastic...like, would that name be too similar to "insider language" such as sanctuary or altar....SORRY - SEE MY BIG UMBRELLA!

PK's BLOG said...

Yes, my friend. You always have wisdom.

The 'telling moment' is that we always feel it necessary to give the disclaimers about our love for God and Him being first, etc, etc, etc, when nobody is ever questioning that - i hope they're not. I'm certainly not questioning that.

That we have to continue to say those things is revealing, isn't it?

I know most do not understand what we in the church world as professionals are aware of. It is not important in and of itself -as a 'stand alone' - but i believe EVERYTHING we do communicates our direction and our vision and our heart for the community - Everything. To me, this is all part of it - but I am patient, lest people think I'm going off the deep end. At least you, as my friend, know that i am not.

Wink.

Anonymous said...

I agree, dMsmith...I think typing KFA is much easier, but I don't like it is an official name. Too ambigious. So, that's my two cents on that.

However, I love all of the comments and thoughts about God and church. It's a nice way to come home tonight and read them. I love having discussions about God and this blog is a great place to do it. I would love for more of us to weigh in on the different topics PK blogs on. It could be very interesting.

Mrs. M said...

Hmmm, don't know how I missed this one back in May!! Guess I was busy with having a baby and Olivia's Star crowning and all! Lol.

I am the type of person that the name means very little to me. The church I attend here in NJ is Monmouth Worship Center...strange. Monmouth is the county we are in.

I did want to make one comment though. I like Kenosha being in the name...I totally get what you are saying! But on the other hand, there were times when I would be talking to someone and they would ask what church I go to and when I tell them (I always call it Kenosha First Assembly!) a lot of people say, "Oh, that big church out by the I?" I think some people who have no connection to the church feel like it's not really a part of Kenosha at all...it's way out there by the I. People who have never been to KFA (easier to type) think that everyone dresses fancy and they would never fit in. If they only knew!! I think Kenosha First Assembly of God is an amazing church that has not stuck to some practices that may be, dare I say it?, legalistic! If people would just try it, they would see that the church is just a cross section of society and is filled with sinners!! Wait, I digress...anyway! I really like Kenosha being part of the name right now cause that is where our roots are and there are still MANY to be reached in our own community!

PK's BLOG said...

HI HEATHER! I don't know how you missed this one either!!! LOL. Thanks for weighing in, even if it's 6 months late, right? HAHA.

I totally get your points.

I think some other things to think about would be -- THE FUTURE. We have church planting in our hearts - multi-campuses -- where the other campuses would still be part of us. If we planted in other cities, KFA wouldn't be an appropriate name. Nor would we want to call it FIRST ASSEMBLY, I'm guessing. So we have to think forward on some of this, rather than just right now.
I think another thought I have on it is that half of our people AREN'T from Kenosha. True, it's the city they drive to to assemble, but we really do represent a far wider scope than Kenosha. And i always go back to that while the church BUILDING might be in Kenosha, the CHURCH really isn't.
Just some other thoughts there.