Monday, May 17, 2010

INFO

I used to read thru the entire Bible every year. Well, I mean, I've read it thru many times. I did it just a couple of years ago. Some years we ask our congregation to join us in that. I feel hypocritical if I'm not doing it with them, so I do. Some years we make that request more 'formal' than other years. In the 'informal' request years, I don't always do it religiously, though I still read every day - or nearly every day.

When I'm reading it thru in a year, there are times I get behind, though I'm fairly disciplined and consistent. Occasionally I get stressed because I'm lagging and then I sit down and just start cramming Scripture down my throat just to get back on track.

It's in those moments I sense God asking me an important question: "Kevin, do you equate information about Me with the transformation I want to bring to your life?"

So OK. I've read the entire Bible thru how many times? Ten? Twelve? Twenty times? And after having done that, do I love people more? Am I more forgiving? Do I have more patience, kindness and gentleness than I did before I read it thru twenty times? Or am I just accumulating information and equating it with transformation? I know a bunch about Jesus. I know a ton about the Bible - but does what I know change me?

We have more access to Bibles and sermons and blogs and devotions and conferences and retreats and books and web sites than any generation in human history - but is it transforming us?

The disciples had very little information. They were pretty much set up for failure by our standards. There was no instruction manual. They go to a mountain and Jesus starts floating up into the sky and He says: "Go into the entire world and teach everything I've taught you. Baptize people, disciple people. And I'll be with you."

With such little information a revolution was born. But has the revolution I long to be a part of sought to be informed more than it has desired to be transformed? If I'm honest, I say 'Yes.'

I don't need more information to have a better marriage - I need to be a more loving husband.

I don't need more information to let go of resentment - I need to choose to forgive, then choose to forgive again, and again.

I don't need more information to grow in my faith - I need to surrender control.

I don't need more information to have deeper friendships - I need to be a better friend.

I don't need more information to know God's will - I need to apply what I know about God to my life.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

kathie wamsley said...

What a great post. Thanks for a buffet full of food for thought. It's a privilege to be shepherded by such a transparent mentor. God Bless you.

Janet Whitmore said...

The disciples had a dynamite dose of the Holy Ghost!!!

Anonymous said...

The Word is the Truth that sets us free. It is Jesus Himself. It is our Sword to get us through the battles each day. It is not just more information.

Anonymous said...

I can only speak to what works for me and I am not sure if anyone else can relate to it. I feel the closest to Jesus when I feel part of the community of God...as if we are all in this together...and are truly a family. It reinforces my relationship with God and builds me up.

Also, when we have a common purpose and I can serve. That is when I feel most like Christ, when I serve others. I feel open-hearted and loving when I can do things for others in the Lord's name.

I need the fellowship with other believers to carry over to the outside world in my life. It buoys me up and then that love that I feel just spills over to others in my life. It makes all of the difference for me.

I read a book called The Five Love Languages of God. It is wonderful book that speaks of the ways we are wired to both show our love and the ways we thrive when others exhibit their love in our love language. It really helped me understand that my way is ok and others have their own ways of loving the Lord. God speaks every love language and He just wants a relationship with us.

Anyway, those are the ways I feel most connected and transformed inside to be a little more like Christ.

BTW, I love this post. Thank you for taking the time to share these things with us. I find your blog to be very, very helpful to me in my walk with Christ. Thank you for all you do as our pastor.