Sunday, April 11, 2010

SOI COWBOY

In Bangkok there is a place called 'Soi Cowboy' ('soi' means 'street'). It is narrow and bar-lined with scores of young Thai girls scantily clad and hanging out - almost Las Vegas style in its gaudiness. Men visit this street to buy girls for an hour or two of 'fun.'

Conversations from 'Soi Cowboy' and 'Walking Street' (see Thursday's blog):

"My name is Reginald and I am from Wales. I am here with my dad and uncle and my 18-year old cousin. I'm 18 too. It's not our first time here. Our dads brought us here last year when we were 17. (ME: "What are you here for tonight?") [grin from him] What do you think we're here for? We're here for the sex. This is the greatest place on the planet. We love coming here. We'll be back tomorrow night --- and the next --- and the next --- and the next --- and the next."

"My name is Tony and I am from Canada. There is more happening on these two blocks per square inch than any other two blocks in the world. I am an atheist but I am still a spiritual person. I have values. I think it's terrible that under-age girls are out here. I just finished having sex with a woman but she was 33-years old, so it's OK. We're both consenting adults so there shouldn't be a problem with it. I guess I'm a little worried about diseases, but I'm aware of STDs and HIV. I don't think there's much chance of anything like that happening since I use protection. I'll admit I agonize over whether I'm hurting anyone when I do this. I have questions about the morality of it all, but since I don't believe in God anyway, I don't guess there's much chance HE is going to punish me, right? Ha ha."

"My name is Ken and I am originally from Washington but I live here in Bangkok now. I'm just here for dinner tonight, but you have to admit this street is pretty entertaining. I don't have sex with girls here - not anymore. I'm a good Christian. I have a Thai girlfriend that I love. I'm not saying I wouldn't come down here for sex, but I don't need to. I have 4 sons who live in the states. They always enjoy coming over. They bring their grandchildren and we watch them while they go out. (ME: 'Would it bother you if your grandsons grew up to come down here and engage in this activity?') [without hesitation]: Of course not. What do I care? Why would it bother me? Should it bother me?"

(Names have been changed and language has been cleaned up.)

Note: The political unrest you may be hearing about in Bangkok that has killed several and injured many seems to be contained to a specific area of the city. We are not in danger. Please pray for peace to reign. And continue praying for us.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it's heartbreaking... and it shows you guys are right where you are supposed to be....

Heidi said...

Pastor Kevin, this is such an awesome mission to have. I'm so relieved and encouraged to see that every step of the way, your steps and decisions and actions have been bathed in prayer. I pray you continue to see everyone through God's beautiful loving eyes and go after them the way He would in His undying love and grace. God bless you. Thank you for going. I would love to go on that trip one day.

Anonymous said...

The stories of these men and their thoughts on this subject are so sad and disturbing. You and the other men who went are such strong Men of God. Thank you for caring enough to go. I pray that you have planted seeds and that the conversations you had with the men will stay with them for a while.

I also pray for all of you...that when you come home that the emotional toll this trip might have taken on you is lessened. I have a friend who went last year and she mentioned that it is emotionally draining and it took a couple of weeks to process it all and get over it.

Sometimes, PK, I think I get caught up in my own world here in Kenosha and forget some of the things that are going on in the world around me. I know it's there, but I don't pause long enough to truly let it sink in. Your blog has brought it to the forefront. I wish the people...indeed all people, could see themselves the way God sees them and place a higher value on themselves. I know that we are to love everyone, but I think that some people might need even a little more, because of heartbreak that hardens their hearts.

Jesus' love is so beautiful. Where would we all be without Him?