Friday, April 2, 2010

FEED

Jesus said: Imagine you had a servant out plowing a field. At the end of the day, would you say to the servant, 'Come sit and eat now?' Or would you say, 'Prepare my supper first and after that, you can eat?' Would you thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So also, when you have done all you were told to do, should say, 'I am an unworthy servant; I have only done my duty.'

I talk a lot about MISSION -- OURS at KFA is 'making it easy to find and experience God.' The essence of that is our focus on those who are far from God and helping them get to God - not making it difficult for them.

Having said that, it may not quite be our very highest calling. All our service must be born out of intimacy and worship with Christ.

Suddenly I'M the one in the field plowing. When the day's work is done, I'm tired and sweaty and hungry. I've worked hard and now I need nourishment. So I go to the Master's dining hall to be fed. As I walk in, I expect the Master to say, "Well done. Now, sit and eat."

But the Master says none of that. Instead he says, "Put on your apron. Serve me first. After that, you can eat."

At first that seems harsh, but nothing could be further from the truth. He says: There's a need in me that only your friendship and service can meet. I know you're tired, but before I feed you, I need you to do something for me. I want you to come here and sit down and let me speak to you. There is so much I want to tell you. I look forward to this time every day when I can have connection with you and you can put your attention on me.

That whole thing should humble us big-time. Why would Jesus want me near him? Why does He ask me to pause and serve in His presence? Because when I wait on Him and listen to His voice and hear what He has to say, IT FEEDS HIM. He says it's food to Him when I hunger to hear Him speak.

So when you've finished your earthly daily toil, come to the Master's Table -- to serve Him. He wants to unfold Himself to you. He promises to speak to you.

And be blessed.

No comments: