Saturday, March 6, 2010

SIR

I'm probably just venting today, but ...

I have been going to the gym now for several years. I'm not trying to be hulk-like or anything. It wouldn't be possible even if I wanted that. I go for a few reasons:

It's a place I can interact with unbelievers on a regular basis ...

It's a way to keep in reasonably good health ...

It relieves my stress ...

It keeps what I have somewhere close to the place God originally started it all out.

When I first started going, I'll admit it was a little intimidating ... standing next to some 23-year old with muscles out to here ... then over there is a woman who is bench pressing 40 pounds more than me ... then there's the group from Parkside University wrestling team who gargle with nails for fun. Then, of course, there's me.

The UPside has been - over time - I've become a regular there. The gang knows me as a regular. As I'm getting dressed in the locker room, it has become customary for me to just say a quick prayer: "God, open a door of opportunity for me out there today to share the reason for the hope that is in me." And that's it.

Then, if God opens a door, I walk thru it with some normal conversation about Him. If He doesn't open a door, then I figure it's His fault and He doesn't want or need me talking about Him that day. See how that works?

And over the months I HAVE had several opportunities - MORE than several - just to have regular one-on-ones about faith. It's been cool. A few of the guys have even popped in at church. It's all in God's hands.

Here is really my only negative about going to the gym. I'll give it to you in a real-life episode that happened just this week.

The doorway going in and out of the locker room is only big enough for one at a time so it's not unusual for somebody to have to give way to somebody else to get in and out. So I'm coming out of the locker room while a young athlete is going in -- and he stops for me and says: "After you, sir."

SIR?
SIR?
Do I look like a 'sir' to you? Don't answer that.

Isn't "SIR" reserved for men who have miles of hair coming out of their ears?

But anyhow, that's basically why I'm at the gym ... to keep 'sir-hood' at bay as long as I can.

And be blessed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two quick comments and then a more serious one.

It is better than the alternative....them barreling thru the door and saying "Excuse YOU!" Being the sweet Christian woman that I am, I've wanted to do that to someone before...sorry, just keepin' it real.

I have been called Ms. Colbus just yesterday by an old friend of my son's on FB. I told him to please call me Kathy, as I feel old enough already. He's a sweet young man, though....good manners.

Ok, serious question: How does a "normal" conversation come up about God at the gym? Or at Target or at the grocery store? Is it cause you tell them you are a pastor and it leads to that? I really do have these deeper convos with my friends, but just in general, how does this happen casually?

PK's BLOG said...

You'd think so, but the truth is -- absolutely not. Almost every conversation has come up BEFORE the person knew I was a pastor.

It's just conversation; it just happens.

Anonymous said...

That is definitely a God thing. That is so awesome! I wish witnessing was a bigger part of my experience. That's part of the reason that I think it would be awesome to be a missionary for a while.

Anonymous said...

BTW..."Sirs" are very distinguished....and you are distinguished. Ummmm...except for that time you rode a tricycle after service...maybe not that time...lol. Sorry...I had to say it! :) JK!

ChristineW said...

Don't feel old. I'm impressed that someone showed respect to an elder..

Now before you meet me at the church doors in the morning or make eye contact during your rousing sermon.. I looked up the word and here's what it says "The adjective elder is not a synonym for elderly. In comparisons between two persons, elder means "older" but not necessarily "old"

Now focus on the Respect part of what I said... Someone showed you respect. Maybe that's why it feels weird. People outside of the "military experience" just don't show it much anymore..

So with that have an good day Sir.

Dr Phil said...

It was recently commented about me by a Mom of 3 young children that I was "Grandfatherly". See if I pay attention to young children ever again!

I also find that many opportunities about God come up daily. Had the privilege this past week of praying with our coworkers for better results in our work. When it happened a few days later, we prayed again thanking God for answering.

PK's BLOG said...

Can you all PLEEEEAAASSEEEE stop trying to make me feel better with all this 'respect' and 'better than the alternative' blah blah blah.

Anonymous said...

Lol...Ok...from one old geezer to another...I am only one mere year younger than you. :)

hmc(sw) usn ret said...

in the military, to refer to an enlisted person as "SIR"' or "MA'AM" is an incredible insult for several reasons:

1. Enlisted people work for a living
2. Their parents were married at the time of their birth
3. Enlisted people have an IQ higher than a rock.
....ad museum.

(BTW: My officers were trained to tell peers & subordinates: "Don't insult my Chief" whenever someone called me ma'am)

Linda Ann Nickerson said...

Loved this post ... and all the comments too!

I have always cringed when folks called me "Ma'am." In the past, I've often corrected people who called me "Mrs." and told them that was my mother-in-law's name.

On the other hand, having received three teenagers as wedding presents (OK, Stop and think about that for a second.), I always loved seeing people's confusion.

Waiters and waitresses, for example, would wonder where to leave the check (if I took my stepkids out without their dad). Who's the parent at the table? Loved that!

With a stepdaughter right on my heels, chronologically (just 9 years younger), this actually still happens.

Why is it that we always want to look older ... till we're about 16 ... then we want to turn that old clock back from that point on ... ?

Wonder what age/stage God will give us for those heavenly bodies one day. (Sounds like an intriguing topic for a sermon.)

"The Final Fitness"

Hmmmmmm.

Or we could all just ask Randy Alcorn. ;-)

PK's BLOG said...

LINDA:

HAHA. I'm actually ok with "SIR" when it comes from the waiter/waitress or the guy at the gas station behind the cashier or the airline attendant, but when it comes from the guy at the gym who was reaching for the 30 lb dumbbell at the same time as me, geez, that hurts. LOL.

I know what you mean about wanting to be older - and then wanting to be younger. The truth is, we count in 1/2 years at both ends of our lives -- we say we're 4 , then we're 4 1/2, then 5, then 5 1/2, etc. At some point that stops, until we reach the 100 mark - then all of a sudden - once again - we're 100 -and -a- half again. :)

Be blessed.