Saturday, March 27, 2010

MESSY

To follow up on Thursday's blog, since it got such rave reviews ... here is an excerpt from something I was reading yesterday that wholeheartedly clicks with me. These are things we have to continue to challenge ourselves with if we plan to go forward the with mission God has called us to in Kenosha:

I Corinthians 10:33 says: “I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved.” (New Living Translation)

Fascinating perspective isn’t it? Typically, we don’t operate like that. We put personal conviction or preferences ahead of what may be best for others. Think about it…
  • It isn’t worship if the music is too loud or too fast or the wrong genre.
  • It isn’t discipleship if the content is delivered in a home or online instead of in a classroom or a sanctuary.
  • It isn’t missions if we help a neighbor who has wealth instead of focusing on people who live in poverty.
  • The message is good if it calls out the sin of other people, but when it’s our sin, we’re offended.
  • Rather than embracing the ministries that are impacting the most people, we want the church to embrace our personal projects and passions.
  • We’re more inclined to give when we can direct how the money is used.
Crazy. You’d think we’d be intentional about living out our faith to do what’s best for others. Instead, we make ministry decisions to try to keep people happy. That’s how we end up with churches full of happy Christians. That’s why churches stop growing. We start doing church for us instead of trying to impact the lives of people around us.

If we’re going to reach people outside the church and outside the faith, we’re going to have to be uncomfortable. And once we figure out what’s best for others today, it’ll be different tomorrow. That will involve change. That means we’ll have to get uncomfortable again. Doing what’s best for others makes life and ministry messy.

I'm ready to get dirty. You?

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

PK...I admit, I am one of the ones that wishes that things were the way I want them to be. I tend to be more serious at church than I am in my life. I just want to soak up the messages and take them away to influence my week and maybe even longer.

I'll try even harder to keep the greater good in focus. You know, something just came to mind and I don't know how the outcome would be in these times. Billy Graham brought scores of people to the Lord and he was not easy on them in any way, shape or form. His approach was very forceful. I watch his classic sermons on Sat. nights sometimes. I wonder if it would be as effective nowadays? I don't know, but when he first started, people's sense of right and wrong seem less hazy. It seems there are many gray areas in these times. Not by God's word, but in our culture.

I am going to be praying this week that our church is filled with people who come back again and give Jesus and His message a chance. I am much more excited about Easter than I even was at Christmas. This is my Lord's day, in all of His glory.

PK's BLOG said...

Yes. Billy Graham is an interesting example - and when I listen to his messages, he seems alternately grace-filled and firm. A skillful balance that he managed well.

The difference between Billy Graham's day, the strongest prime of his crusades being 15-20+ years ago, is that up until the 70s and 80s, a large majority of the public - Christian or not - believed three of the four Spiritual Laws.

The Four Spiritual Laws are:
1) GOD LOVES YOU AND HAS A WONDERFUL PLAN FOR YOU LIFE.
2) MAN IS SINFUL AND SEPARATED FROM GOD.
3) JESUS IS GOD'S ONLY PROVISION FOR MAN'S SIN.
4) WE MUST INDIVIDUALLY RECEIVE CHRIST AS LORD.

Most people believed three of those four. They just didn't accept #4, until someone like Graham came along and gave them the challenge and opportunity.

Today it's different. A majority of people don't believe ANY of those four spiritual laws. So we have to start somewhere with them to bring them to that understanding. It's a whole different approach than it used to be, even though the truth of the Gospel hasn't changed.

That's one of our challenges in the 21st century when it comes to communicating the message.

Don't give up. Your job is to pray for open doors of opportunity and walk thru them; to be ready to give an answer for the hope that is in you. If you keep doing that, God will be pleased. The fruit that you desperately seek is up to GOD, not you. Release yourself from that pressure. Just be faithful and leave the rest to Him.

Anonymous said...

Very, very good points, PK. I know for a fact that this time is very different than before. I remember watching Happy Days and Little House on the Prairie when I was growing up. Now it is a free for all...in many areas.

I love your leadership...thank you for keeping in the loop in your ministry.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

PK...yesterday was an extremely busy day for me, so I didn't give much time to my last answer.

You are a very creative person and it seems that you are looking to reach people in every way imaginable. I ADMIRE that ability. We need more people like you in life. I am drawn to intelligent, free-thinkers with a purpose and a strong value system...in many areas. I don't have that gift for creativity. I see and hear other "thinkers" great thoughts and if they make sense to me, then I incorporate them into my life. I try to take something away from the time spent with people I respect...in many walks of life.

I know that God has you here as pastor, with all of your abilities and strengths and, much to both of our dismay, He has me here to say things in my own unique way. :) I trust that 95% of that is sincerely admiring of you as a pastor and a human being.

I deeply appreciate your willingness to be open to discussion of your ministry, life, thoughts...not everyone is willing to be so transparent. I am. I admire that in you, too. Just being able to talk about things openly is a gift you give us on your blog or in the pulpit.

I know your heart is right with the Lord and I trust you to make the decisions that are right for KFA. I am sure that things will go where God directs them. Looking forward to Easter...