Tuesday, February 16, 2010

DISRUPTION

One of my challenges - the longer I do ministry - is not to do it from sheer memory. Here's what I did last Tuesday, so it's what I do this Tuesday. You tend to do what you used to do. What you used to do is safe, comfortable and convenient.

It's always a stretch to stay spiritually and creatively fresh. Someone calls it 'strategic disruptions.'

I know we can all be creatures of habit somewhat. Often life looks relatively similar day to day, week to week, year to year.

So - if you're at all like me that way - here are some suggestions:

- If you drive the same way to work every morning, take a different route.
- If you study the Bible the same way or always read the same books, try a different approach.
- If you listen to the same type of music, tune into something different. Listen out of your comfort zone even.
- If you order the same thing off the menu all the time, venture out and try something you've never had. I recommend eel.

Disrupt the rhythm. It might change your perspective about life some. At the same time, you could become more sensitive to hear something new from God.

And be blessed.

No comments: