Friday, January 1, 2010

RESOLUTIONS

No doubt it is a huge literary cop-out to blog about resolutions on - duh! - January 1st. But I was reading a list called: 'THE TOP TEN WORST, MOST UNCREATIVE, MOST GENERIC, MOST AWFUL NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS THAT EVERYONE MAKES.' Here they are:

Lose weight
Eat less fast food
Travel more
Get back in touch with friends
Work better and harder
Exercise more
Be more spiritual
Get out of debt
Have deeper relationships
Relax more

And i was thinking ...

WORST? What's worse than wanting your body, soul and spirit to be healthy and in check?

UNCREATIVE and GENERIC? Maybe, but the really clever ones don't mean anything. Like, 'My New Year's resolution is to not make any New Year's resolutions.' Or, 'My New Year's resolution is to learn to speak Mandarin this year.' Gimme a break. If uncreative means 'real' and 'practical' and something actually useful to a better, more God-honoring life, I'll take uncreative any day.

AWFUL? No. Awful is, 'I will eat ice cream every night this year at midnight just before bedtime' (actual resolution). Awful is, 'I will stop considering other people's feelings when they so obviously don't consider mine' ... and ... 'This year I'm going to stop being so nice to people' (actual resolutions). Awful is, 'I will quack like a duck first thing every morning and last thing every night' (actual resolution).

So - do you know what my top ten resolutions for 2010 are? You just read them at top. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Kev said...

yeah , theres much to be said about simple fundamental things .

JCsings4Him said...

Hey! I want to learn Norwegian this year. Practical? No...but I am excited to try!

So good to see you and Joelene on Wednesday! Hope you had a fab New Year celebration!

Anonymous said...

I really haven't made any New Year's resolutions. I've been trying to eat healthier for a while now...will be much easier now that the Christmas goodies are gone. :) The one thing that HAS happened lately is that I have developed an even stronger relationship with Jesus and I want to keep it growing and nurture it and explore Him more now than I ever have before. I think one big thing that I want to focus more on this year is praying for my kids and Dad's salvation. And for them to have divine appointments with other Christians.

Anonymous said...

I like the new look of your blog. It is fresh and kind of cheerful compared to the darker colors. Cool!