Sunday, January 31, 2010

MT. OF OLIVES - GETHSEMANE - YAD VASHEM


Without a doubt, the most EMOTIONAL day of the trip - so far.

Again, my personal highlights:

The Mount of Olives ... where Jesus ascended into heaven and where He will return in glory. It overlooks the old city of Jerusalem, where you see the striking gold of the Dome of the Rock. This is the picture you most often see of Jerusalem and it is from this vantage point atop the Mt. of Olives where it is taken from. Behind you lies the desert and the Dead Sea - in front of you lies the majesty and splendor of mighty Jerusalem. I was overcome by this moment standing at the pinnacle of the city looking down into it.

From there we walked the path Jesus would likely have walked coming into the city with palm branches waving.

Next was Gethsemane, where Jesus broke bread with the disciples ---- where He poured out His soul to the Father, "Not My will, but Yours be done" ---- where He was finally arrested. In Jesus' day, Gethsemane was an olive tree field with a large wine press. We had the opportunity to get into the most private area of this garden where many are not allowed. We spent much time in this location talking, praying, walking, thinking, listening. It was a moment I will not soon forget. (Gethsemane is pictured above.)

Adjacent to this olive tree garden is Church of All Nations, now built around the rock Jesus is said to have labored over in prayer and tears - also called Church of the Agony.

The final memorable spot of the day for me was Yad Vashem, the Israel Holocaust Museum. I cannot tell you here how moving this experience was, to tour thru this place commemorating those who died at the hands of Nazi oppressers and others. The "Memorial of Names" there includes all those known who died and the Children's Memorial has the ashes dug up from the World War extermination camps and buried right here, among 1.5 million lights, representing that many children ages 1-16 who died during the Holocaust.

It is a day I shall never forget.

And be blessed.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I would give to be there at Easter, though I am sure it is overflowing with pilgramiges from around the world.

I believe Gethesane would be the most heartbreaking for me...to imagine Jesus, lover of our souls and our Lord sweat bood with fear as he faced his inevitable outcome. How could He possibly love us that much, as flawed as we are?

I plan to go to the first Holocaust museum in the USA in LA when I visit CA next month. They have survivors that speak there, too.

I must go before too long has passed...even if it means I have no rainy day money. It is a trip of a lifetime as a Christian.

Good to hear from you... God bless your trip.

THOUGHTS FOR THE THIRSTY said...

I just read about the Garden in my reading today! I was just thinking how amazing it would be to be there and pray. I am sure that was very emotional. I wish we could be there with you!