Monday, January 4, 2010

JANUARY 2010

It's here. A new decade. I know, I know - actually the new decade doesn't start till the '01 year, 2011 -- but for all intents and purposes, it's here now. Don't be so picky.

January, 2010. Let that sink in.

Last time I looked it was 2004 or something.

For me, this isn't just one more decade. For me, it is the decade my children will come into their own. By 2020, they'll be in their prime. They'll be the 'established' generation ... the 'primary' generation. And I will have moved on to something else.

With the speed of change in the past ten years, it seem obvious and evident that this decade will move at least as swiftly as the last ten years. It is daunting to think what the future holds, yet it is our reality.

According to Relevant magazine, there are some vital questions Christianity will have to answer by the close of this decade ... gene manipulation, nuclear war, global warming, human dignity, global migration and pandemic disease.

These represent issues with far-reaching moral implications and as believers, we need to be wrestling with what they mean -- even more than non-believers do.

Having said all that, I am optimistic about the future. This generation wants to change the world and they seem poised to do it. They see injustice and are ready to step up to fight it. They see corruption and want to punish the evildoers and make it right. They are passionate, creative and connected like never before.

With that kind of energy, anything is possible with God. This is the decade that will be our-decade-to-join-forces ... my kids' generation and my generation. It's exciting to think we might be able to make an impact ... together.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see us all join forces and make change in our community and beyond. I believe it takes a bit of organization to get beyond the idealism to action. Talking about it is a start, but I feel quite certain that it is implementing the talk that Jesus is looking for.

I have so much love and compassion for those who have less than I do...and I have a strong desire to take action. Personally, I would love for KFA to begin right in our own congregation...with the families out of work or struggling in some area. We are a FAMILY. Families love and help one another. Is there anything concrete that we can do to help them ASAP? I know Hands of the Lamb is there, too, but I am sure there is so much more we could do than just give them a few groceries.

I am more than willing to give my time to help coordinate worthwhile things that need to be done in our church and beyond. I just wonder what the vision is. What direction are we heading? There is no time like the present.