Sunday, January 3, 2010

FOLLOWER

I’m afraid that in America there has been a collision of capitalism and Christianity – and it’s created churches full of customers. Ken Blanchard has a book called ‘Raving Fans.’ It’s really a business book written for corporations about turning customers into fans. It’s about making the product more accessible – making the customer feel more important – and the more you do this as a corporation, the more raving fans you’ll have.

Here’s what’s happened in many churches. We’ve adopted these good business principles and we’ve assumed: ‘If it works in the corporate world, it must work in the CHURCH,’ and we’ve tried to combine Christianity and capitalism – and as a result we’ve made it appear that church is for US … it’s for YOU … it’s for ME. And the reason we sing and worship – is for you. And we’ve started to sell a product where we make Jesus look as appealing as possible to the people who are already in. Then we start to gauge the success of our corporation according to how many satisfied customers we have. But Jesus says that’s not how we measure it.

Because the church sometimes sends a message that says, ‘Whatever you want, you can get it here.' But the real message of the Gospel is … GIVE UP EVERYTHING. And those two things often collide, and if we’re not watchful, we can replace the message of JESUS, the King, that says, ‘deny yourself' with the message of BURGER King – ‘Have it your way.' And that doesn’t create followers – it creates fans.

And here’s just the honest truth about most fans. They’re fans as long as their team is doing well – but when it starts going South, they lose their enthusiasm and they move on. You see that a lot in sports --- and you see it in the Christian walk. As long as Jesus is holding up His end of the deal, then yeah, we’ll be here and we’ll be cheering – but when problems come – or money struggles hit – or we can’t find a job – or health reports come back not what we expected – we start to ‘boo’ Jesus just a little.

We’re fans as long as the banners are being hung from the rafters – but when the commitment gets tested, we get rid of the season tickets and we call the sports radio talk show to complain – that’s what fans do.

Jesus would often say things that would test the commitment level of those in the crowd. He wants to know who’s with Him, so He turns to them and says: ‘Unless you hate your father and mother compared to Me, you can’t be My disciple.’ And the crowd starts to thin out.

He takes some fish and bread and feeds thousands – they love Him for that – they’re fans – “Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!” – they’re all cheering - and then He quiets them and says: ‘Unless you eat and drink of Me, you can’t be My follower.’ And the crowd starts to thin out.

And He might put money on one side – and Himself on the other.
He might put a relationship on one side – and Himself on the other.
Where do you stand? – with Me or with that other thing? – FAN or FOLLOWER?

Luke 14:33 - "Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be My disciple."

'Wait, wait, waitwhat about ... ?' Nope – everything … or you can’t be My disciple.

And be blessed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had I heard this message this past summer, I would have felt terribly convicted, because I was depressed and felt as though God wasn't there. Today, I feel closer to Him than ever...even during the "honeymoon" phase in the beginning. I feel more committed and more mature as a Christian. I really am ready to give Him everything...even if that means I never remarry. He is enough for me.

I think today's message might have been difficult for newer believers to hear, but life with Jesus is more wonderful than any high, from any source in my life, than anything I have ever experienced. I am His servant completely..nothing makes me happier than to know I am in His will, doing what He wants.

I watched the movie, Joan of Arc, yesterday. What an absolutely amazing young woman she was. She followed God's will at every step...even to point of being burned at the stake. She gave it all, but she gained so much in the end. She is with our Lord now and her legacy lives on.

It was a very deep message today. I am so glad you shared this Word from God with us.

Doc Mark Elliott said...

BINGO Kevin!

PK's BLOG said...

I agree that it may have been a little tougher for young beleivers or pre-believers to hear today.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, PK, it is what we need as disciples to hear..in order to mature and grow. I'm glad we started out this New Year in this way. Honestly..

Anonymous said...

Wait to you read what I got while praying during 100 hours! I'm typing it now...missionaries had asked me to pray for the American Church...too complacent...to "Laodician"! Lots of prayer for pastors... Should be done by the end of the week.

Unknown said...

Loved it, thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

Some interesting statistics... There are between 100,000 and 120,000 orphans in the United States. There are 322,000 Christian churches in the United States. If only one family in every 3rd church in the United States adopted one child, every child currently orphaned in the U.S. would have a family.