Wednesday, December 30, 2009

VANITY

I've been examining my 'vanity' quotient of late. How vain am I? How long do I stand in front of the mirror in the morning getting ready 'tweaking things,' and how often do I take the opportunity to steal a glance when I pass a mirror or a really good Windexed window during the day?

I read Bible passages like Job 35:13: "Surely God will not hear vanity, neither will the Almighty regard it" ... or Psalm 24:3, 4: "Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD or who shall stand in His holy place? He that has clean hands and a pure heart; who has not lifted his soul in vanity ... " and all that makes me wonder ... AM I?

I have a vanity plate on my car --- that's what they're called. It's labelled '6FT FIVE,' describing my height. It's given rise to some great conversations out in public when strangers have seen it walking by in parking lots -- but still -- I wonder.

I recall Carly Simon's 1973 release of her famous song: "You're So Vain." Some of the lyrics were: 'You're so vain ... you probably think this song is about you ... don't you? ... don't you?'
You can get the song downloaded to the ringtone on your phone if you're that bold about it.

By contrast, there is Psalm 18:27 ... "You save the humble, but you bring down those who are proud" --- and Psalm 34:18 ... "The LORD is near to those whose hearts are humble."

Which one are you gonna be? Care to examine your heart as I examine mine?

And be blessed.

No comments: