Thursday, December 10, 2009

SEMANTICS?

I was with some people not long ago and we were talking about how we should 'present' to those who don't know Christ. Maybe it's just semantics, I'm not sure. I'm not sure we're really that far apart on the issue, but it is cause for much discussion - however volatile - these days.

When Paul said, 'To the weak I became weak to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some," (I Cor. 9:22) I think he was saying, 'I will do what I can to change my ways so I can effectively reach out to others.'

We can't change the message; we shouldn't; we don't want to. We agree on that. We CAN change the methods. We don't change our message; we might change our manners.

There are things we can do to intentionally reach the people God has placed around us. We can dress like them (provided it is not immodest). We can speak in plain language. We can respect their time. Our style of music can have the lost person's ear in mind. We can let them know - in our advertising and presentation - that they have a place here - because belonging comes before believing.

I have spoken to some charismatic friends who talk about their approach to worship: "I'm going to jump up and down and dance and shout in the aisles; I don't care what people think." I was with them until they said, 'I don't care what people think.'

They lost me there. That doesn't sound at all like Jesus to me.

When we say we want to be an authentic community of followers of Christ which reaches out, we are saying we do care what people think. We love them enough to forego what may be comfortable for us in order to make it comfortable for them. We need to balance what works for us with what works for others. We have churches full of people who love Jesus. But that isn't enough. We need to love what Jesus loves; love who Jesus loves. If we don't reach out in those kinds of ways, we are effectively saying to the rest of the world (pardon the frankness): "You can go to hell."

????

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Maestro said...

You're smart.

J said...

AMEN!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm dancing!!!