Saturday, December 5, 2009

PITCHER


Every church begins asking the question, "What if ... " and the conclusion of that sentence is about how we could reach out. After awhile we start saying, "What if ... " and the rest of the sentence is about us.

I used to think that was a spiritual problem (and maybe it is) but more likely it's just the natural progression of an organization's life cycle. The longer you're together as a group, the more aware you become of each other's needs and the more responsive you become to each other's needs. Slowly the arrows all get turned inward. It's a natural progression. But a natural progression isn't what we want. We want a supernatural progression. We want God to help us so people far from God are continually prioritized at the top. It's time to love the pitcher less and the water more.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I am finally at a place in my walk with the Lord that I truly am ready to live in the world, but not be enmeshed in it. I want to be set apart to a certain extent. I'm ready to do more things in my life as prescribed in the bible...from my spitiual life to my diet and my finances...in as many ways as I can. God will not lead me down the wrong path. I just have to relinquish the steering wheel and let Him take over.

I don't know why it has taken me some time to give up complete control, but I must say, it feels good and RIGHT.