Thursday, November 19, 2009

PEOPLE

The Church is PEOPLE … people of all ages and all times. It was and always will be people who respond to Christ. The Church is people demonstrating life as God intended it to be. The Church is people under Lordship to Christ. The Church cannot be Biblical if it is not under the Lordship or headship of Christ.

Our best questions are often: 'What kind of music do you have here? What do you have for our kids?' But those questions relate wrong theology. The best question is: What does God want the Church to do?'

The mission of Christ determines the mission of the church. In the broadest sense, the mission of the Church is that of its Founder - Jesus Christ! The Church is to do the work of Christ in the world. "As My Father has sent Me, I am sending you."

The church is Christ's visible representation on the earth. The missional church, then, is a sent church. It is a going church, a movement of God through His people, sent to bring healing to a broken world. North America is as much a mission field as any other nation or people group on the face of the earth.

How are people to see Christ today? Through the Church - through God's PEOPLE demonstrating life under Lordship. It isn't about THEM; it's about CHRIST. That’s why many were martyred – burned on crosses – it wasn’t about them; it was about Christ.

It's all about Christ.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reading another good book by Rob Bell....love his writing. He talks of those of us who are single and celibate and how we can take that love and channel it into love and service to others for the purpose of furthering the Kingdom for Christ. I have been doing that all along, but never realized that was what I was doing, by focusing my energy on and having people to love, since I don't have a husband. It brings me great joy to help others...I have alot of love inside of me to give. :)

Anonymous said...

Just curious, did you ever begin writing a book, like you want to? Sometimes, I read your blog or listen to your sermons and you have such a way with words and so much to share. I hope you get to write it. You have a gift.

PK's BLOG said...

well thanks. And yes, writing a book is on my bucket list. In my next life I would be an author.

Anonymous said...

Well, if you have any spare time in your busy schedule, it would be very good, I am sure. You are a very wise man and very intelligent. We all would do well to listen even more than we do now.