Saturday, November 21, 2009

HEALTHY

I have been noticing more and more people from church at the gym I go to weekly. It's good to see people you know there, even though I've generally considered the gym a place I can rub shoulders with people not in the faith - (NOTE: We don't actually rub each other's shoulders).

Now I see that United Health Group has published a list of the Healthiest and Unhealthiest States in the Union. Wisconsin comes in at #12. Not bad. That means there are 38 MORE unhealthy places to live than here.

The annual ranking looks at 22 indicators of health, including everything from how many children receive recommended vaccinations, to obesity and smoking rates, to cancer deaths.

The top 12 are:
1. Vermont (that's pretty surprising considering they eat all that maple syrup up there)
2. Utah (all those Mormons and 'clean living')
3. Massachusetts
4. Hawaii (hula dancing will definitely thin the waistline)
5. New Hampshire
6. Minnesota (the constant state of 'frozen' keeps them looking young)
7. Connecticut
8. Colorado (they breathe in the Rockies)
9. Maine
10. Rhode Island (did you notice that all six New England states made the top 10?)
11. Washington (a lot of New Age young people out there who walk everywhere, I hear)
12. Wisconsin (Woohoo!)

So, I was pretty proud of us, despite the reputation we have for cheese-snarfing and beer guzzling in this state. Your body is a temple remember. Maybe we in the Southeastern part of the state could take it on ourselves to help Wisconsin move up into the top ten next year.

In case you're curious, the five UNhealhtiest states - all in the South - were:
46. South Carolina
47. Louisiana
48. Alabama
49. Oklahoma
50. Mississippi

And if you're from just south of the border here and wondering where the Land of Lincoln came in, Illinois was #29.

And be blessed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someday I know I should begin to treat my body as a temple, but right now it seems I don't have the discipline to do it. I eat exactly what I like. I walk MILES working at Target in a 40 hr week,but it's not aerobic or building muscle mass.

You, Pastor Taylor,are blessed with good genes and are slim. I am built eaxctly like every other woman in my family....lol. That being said, I know I could do a better job, too.

Anonymous said...

PS...I am surprised that CA isn't up there...with all of the beautiful people. It's probably cause it's all due to their best friend....the plastic surgeon...lol. :)

PK's BLOG said...

Genes. Funny. Nobody in my famiky is at all slim.

Anonymous said...

Wow..seriously??? In ALL of your pics you were slim. Lucky you! Must be nice!

National Equestrian Examiner said...

Counting my blessings - for many generations of YANKEE blood! ;-)

Merry said...

Pastor Kevin, after spending my first week in Colorado I totally understand why people are so healthy here. Three reasons:
1. the sky is almost always BLUE and the sun is GORGEOUS!
2. to get anywhere you must climb a hill, a real live hill (spent the afternoon at Red Rocks and there were times I didn't think I could breathe!!)
3. everyone exercises (and everyone has dogs to exercise with!)
If I survive the thin air and the hills, there's no way not to be healthy living here!!!

That said, I miss you all and totally miss Wisconsin!!!

PK's BLOG said...

live long and prosper, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Do you often pay attention to what you eat and eat very healthily and exercise often? I just wondered because you haven't gained the weight like so many of us have as we get older.

I see you post frequently about eating at various restaurants or Joelene's good cooking, so I just assumed that you were genetically predisposed to being slim, not that you go out of your way to eat well and exercise often. So, what do you do to maintain?

PK's BLOG said...

I watch what I eat, even at testaurants. If I didn't, I'd be a balloon.

Anonymous said...

Is that because you have always followed what the bible says about treating your body as a temple? You are very obedient to the Word and seem to have much more discipline than I do. I am hopeful that I am a work in progress and in the future, I will become all that God has created me for. The way I treat the healthy body God has given me is one more area that I need His help with. I am far too inclined to follow the flesh and eat what tastes good to me. As far as exercise, I have always loved to dance. When I used to dance more, I was thin and in shape. Maybe I should get back to it...at least in the privacy of my own home, just to get in some aerobic activity. Besides, dancing makes me feel happy.

PK's BLOG said...

Absolutely not. I looked in the mirror at age 40, and didn't like what I saw. I had never picked up a set of weights or walked/run on a treadmill before age 40.