Friday, October 23, 2009

WHATEVER

Please vote in the 'most annoying word' poll at right. Thanks.

The Associated Press reported the other day that the most annoying word in the English language this year was 'whatever.'

When accompanied with great exasperation, it's pronounced, "WHAT-ehv-errrr." Or if you're hip, it's just "WHAT-evvvv." Immortalized in song by Nirvana in 1991 ('Oh well, whatever, never mind') ... popularized by the Valley Girls in "Clueless" later the same decade ... it's still commonly used, often by younger people.

USES: an all-purpose argument ----- a signal of apathy ----- a word indicating 'dismissal.' Either way, I agree the word is annoying. The original poll found it to be consistently disliked by Americans regardless of their race, gender, income or where they live.

Other annoying words or phrases vying for contention in no particular order were: totally ----- you know ----- anyway ----- like -----

Now it's your turn. Do you AGREE that 'whatever' is the most annoying word/phrase in the English language right now? Vote in the poll at right and let's see.

And be blessed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol...I can't even vote, because I have been known to use all of those words on more than one occasion! That makes me laugh...but ANYWAY...that's the way it goes! :)

Heidi said...

I was in a conversation recently where the person kept saying, "You know?" after EVERYTHING they said. I was so annoyed. But I agree! I say all of those words. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Heidi...at least I'm not alone. :)

Anonymous said...

I like the word, although it can be sarcastic...which can be mean or in humor. But, in context with the true meaning...i think it means 'whatever you choose' or 'prefer'. I had to get technical. :o) One online concordance says it appears 411 times in the Bible. Here are two of those - Philippians 4:8 and Matthew 21:22.
Noah Webster (pron.) Anything soever which; the thing or things of any kind; being this or that; of one nature or another; one thing or another; anything that may be; all that; the whole that; all particulars that; -- used both substantively and adjectively.

PK's BLOG said...

LOL. Wow. Thanks for the research on that.

Mrs. M said...

Now I know why people don't like me!! Whatever!