Tuesday, October 27, 2009

SCALE


A day in the life ...

I hit the gym after work before heading home today. When I get the chance to go, I typically step on the scales sitting right there before you head to the locker room. I'm not the kind of guy who fluctuates much with weight. Right now, I land right between 197 and 199 - pretty religiously, no matter what. Two days ago when I was there, sure enough, like always, it said 199.

So today I stepped on as I entered the locker area and it said ... 211! 'WHAT? That's IMPOSSIBLE.' I couldn't have gained 12 whole pounds in two days. That just isn't in my history at all.

So I went on into the locker room. A couple of guys were in there that I was familiar with and I mentioned that the scales must be 'off.' We were joking around about it but inside - I admit - it was bothering me. Twelve whole pounds? No way.

Both of the guys went to test the scales themselves. Both returned to let me know it was pretty much what they expected. The scale seemed accurate.

Then one of the guys asked me if I was usually dressed when I stepped on the scales. And -- well -- yeah -- since the scales are located OUTSIDE the locker room --- um --- definitely dressed every time.

AND THEN -- it dawned on me. I had done something today I don't ever do, but i guess I was just in a hurry when I walked past the scales and stepped on real quick. I had my gym bag on my shoulder when I weighed myself.

So I went back out WITHOUT the bag just to make sure - stepped on the scales --- yep --- 199. My faith is restored. I'm gonna have that extra HO-HO now.
Note to self: I have way too much stuff in my gym bag. Fix that.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol...just don't be so vain. :)

allisonlayne said...

haha. that is so funny. i take after you dad because that is something i would totally do. i told my co-workers this story:) and by the way, it is not vain for being a little sad when you think you gained 12 pounds in 2 days. i would worry about someone who wasn't worried about that. love you.

Whitney Thulin said...

I actually know what it's like to see the scale up 15 pounds in two weeks. Granted I was pregnant at the time but it wasn't fun to see nonetheless. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Allison...I promise I was just joking with your Dad, cause he is a great guy. He knows I like him alot. :)

Beth H said...

Hi, Pastor Kevin! Funny story about the mysterious extra 12 pounds! Just wanted to thank you for the letter you sent us at Poplar Creek regarding worship at Couples Camp--your kind words were very encouraging. We were also blessed by the teaching you and Joelene shared throughout the weekend. (My husband wants to know what happened to his wife! lol) Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you at the next Leadership Training mtg at Poplar. Blessings to you!--Beth Harms