Friday, October 2, 2009

RE-SIZED

There is a poll at the very bottom of this page. Feel free to scroll on down and participate. There are a couple of days left to vote.

I will confess to being just SLIGHTLY surprised at the 'so-far' results of the poll at the bottom of the blog page here. Surprised because my thought had been that most of the readers of this blog are probably from my church, which is over 2,000 people on a weekend. Yet, a stronger number of votes were cast for 'we love a smaller church' in the poll. AND ... as I am finding out, a considerbale number of people who read this blog aren't FROM my church. Which is very cool, I guess.

So --- just a few comments then on the subject of the poll --- size.

Extra-large or Super-Size isn't as popular as it used to be. For instance, there is a trend in home buying AWAY from larger homes to more compact, smaller, cozier dwellings. A bigger house doesn't make a better house. Cottage is the feel-good word of the new millenium.

There is not always a strong correlation between size and significance. The most important light in your home may not be the big chandelier hanging in the dining room. It may be the little night light that keeps you from stubbing your toe when you get up at night.

Speaking of little and small - and this is EXACTLY how we take a larger congregation like ours and keep it cozier-feeling ... small groups. We have thrown twice our weight behind them in the last couple of years. Small groups are far more valuable than you may think. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world --- indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." (MARGARET MEAD)

To have a place to be heard, to be encouraged, to share, to be loved, to learn about God, to pray for others, and to have others pray for you is no small wonder.

Now ... as an unrelated closing ... I leave with you with a great line from the movie my wife and I took in tonight -- "CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS." If I ever re-name this blog, this is going to be the title: "I am off to carpe some diem now."

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is carpe diem "Seize the Day"...if I remember right.

I love being in a small group...it's awesome! I had to work tonight, otherwise I would have been in my small group.