Saturday, September 19, 2009

FESTVITIES

Our family is home from Minneapolis and my three daughters took me to lunch at the Boat House Restaurant down by the lake. Years ago, when each of them turned 18 years old, I wrote them a letter -- expressing my dreams and hopes for them -- picturing a special future -- a 'release' of sorts as well. To my surprise during lunch, they had each gift-wrapped a customized letter to ME, framed, expressing each of their personalities and love. It was awesome. We all sat there and cried. I have no clue what the waitress must have thought as she passed by and saw all of us sobbing into our fish. But it was good sobbing.

After that, I got to doze with Elias, my grandson.

Later in the evening, there was a spectacular surprise party for my 50th birthday at my home which is this coming Wednesday (pictured below). The HO-HO cake was huge and amazingly decadent. O my goodness. Thanks for all the chocolate. You shouldn't have. No, I mean it.

Then - to cap off a tremendous day - we got to have Elias in our bedroom all night - gave him his feedings - does it get any better than this? I think not.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Your daughters are gorgeous and the story about their letters made me well up. And Elias, of course, is way too cute!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day in every way! Especially cuddling up with that adorable little grandson of yours! Several years ago....when my dauther was a broke college student. she didn't have money to buy me a Christmas gift, so she also wrote me a heartfelt letter and cut out pictures of the two of us and made a little collage and framed it. It was beautiful and after about 5 years, I STILL have it on my bedroom dresser. It is one of the best gifts I ever received. Far better than the Coach purse she just bought me for Mother's Day. And that was extremely generous of her, but having her heart means much more to me than any material things.

Happy early birthday to you! Don't worry about turning 50, it's only a number...and you have aged well! :)

Unknown said...

I was blessed to get a close up view of your grandson today just after eating your delicious cake. He is such a peaceful little guy, so beautiful and so much hair!
I was very touched by the family today. It was a lovely reminder what a healthy functional family looks like. Of course I was laughing to myself at your irritation at being "dragged" out of class. Typical PK.
God has already blessed this birthday!