Tuesday, August 4, 2009

LEGACY - 11

I'm at General Council, the biennial gathering of Assemblies of God ministers. It travels around the country every two years and is in Orlando, Florida this week - poor me.

It's an opportunity to hear about what is going on in our denomination globally as well as hear some really great speakers. For instance, today we had the chance to hear Mark Batterson, Reggie Joiner, Beth Moore, Keith Craft and Ed Young, Jr. - that's a great line-up.

It also gives a chance to connect with many friends who pastor in churches all over America - some we haven't seen since college days. In fact, today I ran into one of the 'kids' from the youth group at my first church when I was a youth pastor 25 years ago (yes, I was a youth pastor at one time). I say 'kid,' but that 'kid' is 42 years old now and pastoring his own great church in Akron, Ohio. Way to go. Proud of you.

The General Superintendant, Dr. George O. Wood, spoke this evening at the big service. He focused on LEAH, Jacob's wife - and it kind of reminded me of that 'kid' I'd youth pastored so many years ago, not knowing what would ever become of him. As it turns out, he ended up in the ministry - like me -- and I like to think -- no, I KNOW -- it had something to do with me. That's not boasting, it's just God using people in the lives of other people.

And that was the message from Dr. Wood tonight -- you never know what impact you're going to have. Leah didn't know. All she knew was that she was the ugly sister between her and Rachel - she was the less-loved wife between her and Rachel - she bore 6 sons to Jacob when Rachel couldn't bear any, yet Jacob still loved Rachel more. And yet, without her, there would be no David, no Solomon, no Jesus, no Paul, no kings of Israel, no books of Psalms or Proverbs, no prophets like Isaiah or Jeremiah or Ezekiel. ALL of them came thru Leah's lineage from her sons. And six of the twelve gates in heaven are named for each of her sons, each one made from one single huge pearl. Now THAT'S a legacy. Too bad she didn't know it, but she didn't.

And YOU won't know what your full legacy is until you get to heaven either. Just be faithful and let God do the rest.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I would've loved to hear that sermon. Very cool.

Mrs. M said...

Wow, would have liked to have heard that message. Leah's story has always made me a little sad...to think she was not truly loved...but God truly loved her.