Saturday, August 1, 2009

9-1-1 --- 14

We called "9-1-1" yesterday. I don't know if we've ever done that before for anything, but we did yesterday. We were pulling off the interstate onto a big 3-lane off ramp and came up behind a white GMC pickup, waiting in line for the light ahead to turn green. I pulled up pretty close to his bumper, as is my normal practice.

Once the light turned green, the cars in both the other lanes started moving. We just sat there. I thought at first it was just some slow-mover up ahead but after a time I realized there must be a problem up there. Somebody stalled or maybe a little fender-bender. The problem was, I couldn't see anything but the back end of the white GMC pickup because I had pulled up pretty close to his bumper, as is my normal practice.

The cars behind me began to get impatient and one-by-one they pulled around us into one of the free lanes. Once they had all cleared out behind me, it was my turn to pull around - and then the white GMC pickup could also after me. When we maneuvered into the left lane to get around, I saw that the problem actually WAS the white GMC pickup. There were no other vehicles in front of him. I might have known that had I not pulled up so close to his bumper, as is my normal practice.

As we passed, we looked to our right to see what the problem might be. It turned out that the driver, the GMC's sole occupant, had his eyes closed, leaning back against the head rest, mouth wide open. We figured he was either sound asleep, had suffered a heart attack or stroke, passed out ......... or possibly dead?

We would have got out right there to rap on his window and see if we could help, but the traffic was so heavy and there was no shoulder on the off ramp and cars were continuing to pile off the interstate that it wasn't safe to do so. In fact, a brand new row of 'unsuspectings' had already lined up behind the white GMC pickup. We continued our journey, but not before diailing 9-1-1 to let them know about a potentially dangerous situation and a possible medical emergency.

I hope the guy was OK. Just another 'day in the life.'

And be blessed.

No comments: