Wednesday, July 15, 2009

WORLD

Someone gave a challenge this week that we were not to love the world, but be separated from it. I've discussed this topic in this space before, but here goes again:

First off, you can't ignore John 3:16 -- "For God so LOVED THE WORLD ... " I should just stop with a big ol' PERIOD right here, but I've never been good at NOT expressing at length. (Ask our pastors who are consistently watching their egg timers when I'm up speaking.)

Before you say it, I know all about I John 2 - "Do not love the world or the things of the world" - and - "If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." OK. Got me there. Almost.

Clearly John 3:16 and I John 2 aren't talking about the same thing.

When John tells us not to love the world, he isn't speaking about the world of PEOPLE, he's talking about the evil system that is the devil's playground.

John is not talking about the selfless love we must have that compels us to serve and speak the Gospel, he's talking about the self-indulgent love where our evil desires respond to the seductive temptations out there.

John means not to be infatuated with the values and lifestyles of the world and not to long after or indulge in those passions.

Some interpret the command not to love the world to mean we should draw apart and separate ourselves from evil culture and evil people and evil government in all aspects of life. But if we do that, then we refuse to emulate the life of Christ.

Here's a question for you: "Do we influence unbelievers toward Jesus or do they have more power to influence us toward their values and practices?"

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Dr Phil said...

Right on. It seems so simple when one's worldview compels him to "Rescue the Perishing!"

Anonymous said...

I know I am hopelessly late to this discussion, but I just got my computer back, so bear with me.

I can say from recent experience that the times when I am most plugged in at church and my relationship with God is stronger, then it is easy to share the love in my heart and shine a light for my unsaved friends. So, I hope I might have influenced them in some fashion.

However, I have been losing some of my connections with the church and other Christians there and it is easier to be swayed in ways I wouldn't have been before. I haven't done anything terrible, but I am losing focus on God as the center of my life. Quite honestly, He has taken a back seat and the truth of it all is I am not nearly as happy as I was when my focus was on Him. I want to get back to the time when my focus was on my church family and not the values of my more worldly friends and family members.

It happens little by little until suddenly you realize that you have compromised and grown lax and lost the joy and love of the Lord...and that is a terrible shame. It's not a place I want to stay.