Thursday, June 4, 2009

INCIDENTS

Because I don't have my LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES big huge giant book with me at my room this morning to share some cool stuff with you about what i'm learning (I left it back at the classroom where we're headed in just a few minutes) - I thought I would tell you about two 'incidents' that happened yesterday while here in Seattle.

1 - I was taking a tour of the Northwest District Assemblies of God headquarters. They sublet part of their building to various organizations. One of them is a place children can hang out and play. So there is 'kid-stuff' everywhere, including low-hanging entrances that you have to duck to get thru. You see where I'm going, don't you? So, I'm walking along with my 6'5" frame, in the middle of the single file group that is navigating the children's area. And while I'm walking, I'm also texting (I call it 'multi-tasking'). So ... while my head is down, feverishly communicating with some lucky recipient, I walk full speed into the header of the little HOUSE I was supposed to crouch under in order to get through. It made quite the "THUD! and it stopped the whole group dead in their tracks. I heard about it from my colleagues for the rest of the day. I'll admit it gave me a bit of a headache for a few hours afterwards.

2 - When we got to our rented vehicle to go to supper, after 9 hours of class (and 3 more to go when we got back), our driver hit the "panic" button on the remote by accident. All the bells and whistles started going off. The Northwest District also rents part of their building to a church. It runs about 900. The minivan was parked right in front of the area where the church was meeting for their mid-week service, which was in full swing. The PROBLEM was: we couldn't get the alarm to STOP. We pushed every button and tried every door and couldn't make it stop. Four people ran out from the church asking us to "PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!" It's one of those new-fangled keys that won't fit into the outside lock - just the ignition. So we called the rental car company and they told us to slide the little lock on the outside of the remote. The key was hidden inside. When we did that, the little lock broke off. So there we were, four grown men fighting with a little remote to get the hidden key out - and four Washington church guys standing by frustrated that we couldn't do it. I have to tell you, eventually I came to the rescue. It was my fingernail clipper materializing from my pocket that finally managed to open the remote and deliver the key to open the car door and make the alarm stop -- after 10 minutes.

Just another 'day in the life of PK.'

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That's terrible! Uuugh, we've all been there though...