Sunday, June 7, 2009

FEELINGS


Psychologists say a child’s personality is 85% formed by the time he/she is five years old and, generally-speaking, it is irreversible. Unfortunately, most psychologists never heard about 2 Corinthians 5:17, which says, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, all things have become new.”

You’re sitting there right now with thousands of brain-habit pathways – GOOD ones and BAD ones – ranging from little cow trails (things you seldom think or act on) - to 12-lane super highways (things deeply ingrained in your brain). SOME of them are generated by that OLD MAN inside you that tries to get his needs met by cutting God out of the picture (That's me in the pic illustrating part of this concept with a hula hoop this morning).

But God is looking for us to submit this decision-making center to HIM so we’ll live by faith. Satan attempts to enslave the very same part of us by influencing us with carnal-sensation temptations that often involve our emotions.

Sometimes emotions are viewed as these pesky distractions that get in the way of logic. But cognitive, rational human beings are not ALL we are. God gave us emotions, so they must be good. I know I wouldn't want to live without mine. You can’t read the Psalms very long before realizing they are poems from the heart, not from the head so much.

But emotions are powerful governors of behavior. Even when they are wrong, they are not easily dismissed or denied. I have seen them ignored – and eventually, they can halt the whole train and start pulling it in another, completely DIFFERENT direction. I’ve seen emotions stuffed and then resurrected in the form of anger, withdrawal or addictive behavior. And it is in those kinds of moments we must rely on TRUTH, not FEELINGS, to steer our course.

I've heard people say: “I’ve asked Christ into my life to change me, but I don’t FEEL anything.” And unless they can FEEL it, they have a difficult time accepting it. But the Bible never says anyone will feel saved. Acts 16:31 says: “BELIEVE in the Lord Jesus Christ and you WILL be saved.”

And even if God DOES give you a major ZING when you come to faith, I have to tell you – it only has a 90-day warranty. I don’t say that to be negative, but it’s going to dissipate. It has to, because God isn’t interested in increasing the 12-lane highways inside you that exalt emotion and feelings above His truth. This is a walk of faith – not a walk by sight. It’s not a walk of feelings - it's faith.

There is only one way God prescribes moment-by-moment victory – and that is by following His truth first. Here is a sign of a mature believer … someone who loves the truth and lives by it. Let your behavior and actions follow TRUTH - not the other way around. And then, like the stubborn mule it is, your feelings will come along. But even if they don't, it is Christ and His truth first, no matter what.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I live by my feelings. I always thought if I felt it, then it is my truth...not everyone's truth, but mine. I always thought faith was a feeling of trust and love for God. I don't think I fully understand exactly how faith is defined in the church. I just thought just saying the words, "I have faith" was not enough. It seems hollow without the emotions to go with it. What am I missing here? When I felt the most in love with Jesus I felt the most faith and trust. When I don't feel anything, I feel disconnected and I don't like it. It feels empty and I miss His presence...even though He's always there.