Monday, May 25, 2009

MEMORIAL


I couldn't let an important day like MEMORIAL DAY pass ...

If you've never been to Arlington National Cemetery in the Washington, D.C. area, you are missing something very special.

A.N.C. is a military cemetery established during the Civil War on the former estate of Robert E. Lee's wife, Mary Anna (Custis) Lee, a descendant of Martha Washington (my personal family tree has both the Washingtons and the Lees in it, by the way).

More than 300,000 people are buried there in an area of 624 acres. Veterans and military casualties from every one of the nation's wars are interred in the cemetery, from the American Revolution through the military actions in Afghanistan and Iraq. Pre-Civil War dead were re-interred after 1900.

The first soldier to be buried in A.N.C. was Private William Christman of Pennsylvania on May 13, 1864.

Today, Arlington National Cemetery continued the time-honored tradition of "Flags In." Soldiers from the 3rd Infantry Regiment along with service members from the Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard placed a decorating U.S. flag one foot in front and centered before each headstone in the cemetery. This has been done every year since 1948. All flags will be removed Tuesday.

Enjoy your freedoms today.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Dad and I went out to dinner yesterday and an elderly couple sat behind us. The gentleman was wearing a cap that said WWII veteran. As Dad and I got up to leave I flashed him a couple of big smiles and inside I wanted to go up and thank him, but I got shy and I didn't do it. I really wish I would have.