Tuesday, May 19, 2009

DISCIPLE

It struck me today, as we were talking with staff about some issues within the church, is that we may have not made discipleship an actual condition of being a believer in Christ. Not that we haven't and aren't offering ways to become a disciple, but we may not be pressing the buttons continually and constantly enough so people know what God expects from them.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer says: 'One is not required to be a disciple in order to become a Christian, and one may remain a Christian without any signs of progress toward or in discipleship. Contemporary Western churches do not require following Christ in His example, spirit and teachings as a condition of membership ... so far as the visible Christian institutions of our day are concerned, discipleship clearly is optional ... churches are therefore filled with "undiscipled disciples." Most problems in contemporary churches can be explained by the fact that members have not yet decided to follow Christ.'

That probably says it better than I could. But discipleship MUST mean adherence to Christ because Christ is the OBJECT of our adherence. Christianity without the living Christ is inevitably Christianity without discipleship -- and Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ.

And be blessed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one reason that I am grateful to Pastor Dan for recommending Alvia to me. I felt as though I wanted to go further, but I wasn't sure how to go about it, but she's wonderful! If I can become half the believer she is then I will be happy. Her faith is like none I've seen...I know I am not there yet and to say I am would be a lie. I know God CAN do all things, but I am not so sure He will.

Maybe I am being terribly simple-minded, but have you ever considered having a discipleship class for those who want to take the next step in their walk? I am certain it is more complex than a simple class, but we need someone to lead us. Something to think about. I would go! :)

PK's BLOG said...

You're on the right track. Several of the classes that are offered in each of the 3-month terms are suitable for discipleship. Pick up on of them and GO!! WAY TO GO!! Discipleship is not linear - step one, step two, step three - it is circular. Different disciples need different things for growth.
Be blessed.

Anonymous said...

I miss ya, PK. Being without a computer when I want it stinks. On the bright side, tonight Lucy asked me to go with her to a bible study at Lakeshore Tabernacle and one of your friends Pastor Mark led it...it is great and Iwill be going each week! It's like church during the week. It was no coincidence that I was there, because he said some things that Alvia has said to me lately too...word for word. God got my attention, too. I LOVE CONFIRMATION!

LA Nickers said...

Important post.

Isn't discipleship the kindling that keeps that initial spark glowing and growing?

PK's BLOG said...

NICKERS:
YES - but discipleship is about action, not information. We are educated far beyond our level of obedience.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited! I just inquired today at the library if I could access your blog...as it is banned on the outside computers. Well, come to find out, the computer lab is not blocked, so I can still check it out. You have things on here that make me think so many times. This post being one of them. I know it's a small thing, but this does brighten my day! :)

Have a great day! Kathy