Sunday, April 26, 2009

SEVEN POUNDS


This morning was the second of three messages in our "AT THE MOVIES" series. Today was based on the film "SEVEN POUNDS," starring Will Smith. It is the story of a man wracked by personal guilt at having accidentally ended the lives of seven other people, including his own wife. The rest of his life is spent figuring out who to give a 'pound of his own flesh' to in order to absolve himself of guilt.

Guilt. It's pretty powerful.

Satan counterfeits everything wonderful from God.
God created LOVE; Satan counterfeits with LUST.
God gives magnificent ABILITIES; Satan counterfeits with PRIDE and ARROGANCE about those abilities.
God allows us to feel helpful GUILT to motivate us His direction; Satan counterfeits by heaping great SHAME on people God has already forgiven.

But God designed personal guilt to WARN you of spiritual damage so you'll stop and seek His help. That's how guilt can be good.

But - left to extremes - guilt can do terrible things to us. Will Smith ends up killing himself in the movie over his guilt (sorry to ruin it for you if you haven't seen it). And while your personal guilt may not kill your body -- it can kill your spirit -- it can kill your relationships -- it can kill your peace -- it can kill your joy -- it can kill your effectiveness for the Kingdom.

There is only one way to healing when you're experiencing tremendous guilt from something you've done wrong -- ONE WAY -- thru BELIEVING the words of Jesus and RECEIVING His forgiveness and acceptance.

Psalm 103:12 - "As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us." Now ... measure that distance and tell me how far that is.

Jesus says to believe Him. HIM. Not your doubts ... not your fears ... not your history ... no one else. Just Him.

Do you deserve that? No.
Is your guilt and sin too big for God to handle? No.
Would God do that whole forgiveness thing for everyone ELSE, but not YOU? No.

See yourself thru God's lenses ... accept His forgiveness ... believe Him ... and by the power of the cross, be forgiven and healed today.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have found that my biggest source of guilt comes when people I have hurt won't forgive me. It gnaws at my spirit. I apologize repeatedly...I am not a proud person, so I know when I am wrong, I don't deceive myself. It's just harder to move on when I know in the back of my mind that somewhere out there someone is mad at me.

I am estrnged right now from my Mom and brother. Neither are saved and both have pessimistic views in life, so I don't miss that part, but STILL they are family. I know in my heart that I should limit the amount of time I spend around them, but I never wish to sever the tie permanently. Time will tell what they decide. I honestly don't know what I would do without my church family...seriously.