Wednesday, April 8, 2009

EXPERIENCE

Believers these days have come to think life transformation is attained thru external experiences. Many churches have gone to great lengths to manufacture these experiences for their religious consumers. Millions of Christ-followers trudge up the mountain every Sunday desiring an experience with God, which is precisely what the church promises.

The problem with these external experiences is that the glory fades so fast. By the time Monday comes, or even Sunday lunch, the event you were certain would change your life forever, turns out to be one more fleeting spiritual high.

This philosophy creates worship junkies - believers who leap from one mountaintop experience to the next - one spiritual high to the next - from weekend sermon to radio worship to TV messages - in search of a glory that does not fade. Ironically, these experiences are often failing to produce real worshippers.

What we are risking is making people experience-dependent. We lose the ability to do what we were designed to do - worship God in a vibrant, self-generating relationship with Christ. Instead, they find themselves dependent on their zookeeper-pastors for life and nourishment. As long as the captive and the captor are both satisfied with that arrangement, it is unlikely it will change.

But this marvelous transformation is not done except by the inner working of the Holy Spirit in our lives. It is not done from the 'outside-in,' but from the 'inside-out.' We no longer worship the Father on a mountain or in the Temple, but in SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH - by embracing a divine mystery - 'Christ IN you, the hope of glory.'

Let it be.

And be blessed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really and truly do want to become more and more like Christ and change from the inside out. It just feels so unattainable sometimes. I AM a different person than I used to be, but I still have so far to go. Sometimes, I am not sure how to be in the "real" world AND the church world and how to balance it all out. There are times that it seems that in church we have to be perfect and it is too difficult. I already know I am not perfect, although I do my very best to make God proud of me. I do know one thing for sure...if I ever do travel down the road further towards sanctification that it will be because I love God and want to please HIM, not because I have to prove myself to my church family. I want my changes to be real and true from the inside out, not just a facade I put on on Sunday.

PK's BLOG said...

There is a danger when we try to have a 'church' world and a 'real' world. That's how we end up putting God on a checklist and then putting him to the side when we go out into the 'real' world. The life with Christ IS the real world. Don't over-concern yourself about the sanctification road. You're already on it and growing. Keep your eyes on Christ and the rest of that will come. No one deserves to ask for perfection except for Christ. Hang in.

Anonymous said...

Thanks PK....it's just so hard to be Christlike. Sometimes I feel like it's an uphill battle. I am so flawed. I don't mean to be, but when I fall I am the first one to admit it. I know one thing...I will never stop trying. God is too important to me. I LOVE the church , my church family...I just feel very bad when I let you all and most of all, God down. I DO try to learn from my mistakes, though and try to do better the next time. Thank God for His grace...I would be a lost cause without it. :)

Joni H said...

One thing I keep coming back to is where my heart is... For me, I have learned to live each moment knowing that God is right here with me, and that I am living this life in preparation for the next life, the real life that will be eternal. (Most people live as if this life is the only one we get.) When my heart gets what He did on the cross, true worship comes like breathing...I enjoy your blog so much! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This is for PK...or quite honestly, any of you. What scripture do you read that touches your heart and makes you feel closest to God? I am feeling very lonely these days and I need to seek my Father, but I guess I am looking for the fastest route there. Any ideas?

Heart of a Ready Writer said...

Amen to this post!

May we DELIBERATELY seek the Lord Himself, rather than the experiences He may send our way. May He transform us through and through . . . for eternity . . . for His glory.

PK's BLOG said...

ANON:
I love the Psalms. They give courage, strength, comfort and a variety of blessings that just make you FEEL GOOD when that's what you need.

Some of my faves are:
1, 23, 34, 42, 89, 91, 119 (get a big cup of coffee), 134 and 148-150.

Anonymous said...

Thanks PK!!! I am about to go dig in...for real! Love you, bud!

Just so you know...my favorite Psalm is 139...how God has known me from my Mother's womb and knows everything about me...every thought, every hair on my head. I LOVE that he knows my heart and when I am wrong and also when I am being HIS best. I feel comforted in that. Even when others think I am being sinful, GOD KNOWS....I never have to say a word. I know when I face Jesus that he will know what I meant and thought and that comforts me.

I hope you do too. :)

Anonymous said...

I read the Psalms you recoommended and my faves were 1, 34 and 119....and I adore Psalm 139. It is my personal favorite, but 119 is just as great!

Are there any specific books or anything that just focus on God's majesty and how GREAT he is? I have heard people talk of the fear of the Lord....we just talked abut it Wed. night. The thing is, I don't fear God...I love Him and he doesn't scare me. When I do the right things, it is because I LOVE Him, not because I am afraid He will punish me.

Diana and Bob said it is more like Awe and Reverence for the Lord...that makes sense to me...I do feel that for sure.