Friday, April 24, 2009

CHRISTIANITY

I heard this today and thought I'd share it. It's not from me, but here goes:

A radio guest was recently asked in an on-air interview by a host who was NOT a believer to defend Christianity. The guest said he couldn't do it - and didn't even want to TRY defending it. The host said, "Aren't you a Christian?"

"Yes," said the radio guest.

"Then why don't you want to defend it?"

The radio guest told the host he no longer knew what the term meant. Of the hundreds of thousands of people listening at that moment, some had had terrible experiences with Christianity, he said ... yelled at by a teacher in a Christian school ... abused by a minister ... browbeaten by a Christian parent. To them, the word Christianity meant something no Christian he knew would defend.

Stop ten people on the street, he said, and ask them what they think of when they hear the word "Christianity," and they'll give you ten different answers. How do I defend a term that means ten different things to ten different people?

Truth is -- I would rather just talk about JESUS and how I came to believe He exists and how I eventually came to faith in Him - and that He likes me.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean...I want to talk about Jesus and heaven and everything about it all. I just want to meet Him, talk to Him, hug Him, thank Him and have the immense privilege of spending eternity with Him...sometimes I ask, WHY ME???? I just don't know why He chose me and not another person who is much better thna I am. I know I am blessed, though, that He did. It's very nice to know he likes us, isn't it? :) Well, I like YOU, too...you're a great man! :) I gave my heart to Jesus at your church when you were preaching. The beginning of the best days of my life. It just keeps getting better each day and as my purpose becomes more clear.

Anonymous said...

In response to the last comment: He didn't choose someone who is better than you because no one is better than you. In fact, the Bible says "no one is good--except God alone" (Mark 10:18). God loves us all as His children regardless of how we think of ourselves. Jesus chose all of us--we just have to choose him.