Monday, March 23, 2009

LIFE CYCLE

Today some of our staff went to New Berlin, WI for a one-day seminar on "Understanding and Navigating Church Life Cycles" by Steven Mills.

Steven discussed how churches and congregations naturally walk thru certain cycles from 'birth' to 'infancy' to 'childhood' and 'adolescence.' Then on to 'adulthood' and 'maturity.' If they're not careful and don't continue staying fresh and re-dreaming, re-inventing, listening to God and vision casting, they can slip on into 'empty nest' syndrome and 'retirement' as a congregation - and then, eventually 'death.'

Each member of our team decided independently where they thought WE were at KFA in that bell curve right now, with 'adulthood' being at the prime top-of-the-curve position. Most of the group thought we were in a really healthy positive spot, though certainly not perfect - far from it - but most of the crew present put us at the 'adolescence' position, meaning even though we're 75 years old as a church, we were coming into our own again as we have re-cast vision for the church over the past couple of years, after probably slipping over into 'maturity' (not a good thing on this particular bell curve) and possibly even toward 'empty nest' for awhile back a few years ago.

It is important that churches do this process over and over again to avoid - never staying the same - never being satisfied - never status quo - never becoming stale and irrelevant as society and culture continue to change at such a fast rate. The only things that remain the same are our FIRM COMMITMENT to preach the Word and retain our God-breathed values. What an exciting time to be part of the church.

PS ... Steven Mills and Melvyn Ming have developed some curriculum to help churches hone their mission and values and vision and strategy. The material is called "Church Leadership Development Process" and I'm privileged to be able to hang out with some of these very smart guys in Seattle for a week to learn from them and receive some training -- and then come back to our Wisconsin District and help lead other churches thru the same material, including our own staff. Can't wait.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds exciting. So glad our leadership is tuned in and not letting us languish or grow stale. I appreciate all y'all!
Blessings.
d

Anonymous said...

My friends and I sense a revival in the air. These times are rather difficult for many people. I think they will be looking for help from above. Knowing that Jesus is with you to help carry your load is comforting.

I have been going to the Pray Kenosha meetings and praying for saved souls in our community. I just feel as if it God's time. Our church keeps growing. I have been to different churches and ours is the one that is most filled with the Holy Spirit and the power of our Lord.

I can't wait for Easter and ALL that is represents. To know deep in my heart that Jesus died and rose again to save me is amazing to me. To think that He loves me that much and took MY sins upon himself and offers me eternal life with Him....I can't even put into words how that feels. All I know is that I can't wait to see Him and hug Him and thank Him. :) I look forward to the Rapture. It will be a day of rejoicing that will never end.

Anonymous said...

Lead other churches? Like actually get district Pastors together for some teaching time? That would be awesome!

We'll be waiting! :~)

JC