Saturday, March 7, 2009

DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME


This is the time you LOVE to hate - the spring version of Daylight Saving Time, where you lose an hour's sleep and potentially risk missing church the next day.

This is another of Ben Franklin's bright ideas - right up there with the light bulb and all. He THOUGHT of it, but it didn't actually start till way after the guy was in the ground -- 1918. It was extremely unpopular during World War I (I knew there was something I liked about that generation), and it was repealed. But during World War II, they brought it back and it has stuck ever since.
For me personally, the real issue is realizing how many things I own around the house that have CLOCKS in them:

Stove
Microwave
Coffeemaker
Cuckoo clock
Chime clock
Wall clock(s)
Basement clock
Bathroom clock
VCR clock
Computer clock
Car clock(s)
Bedroom alarm clock(s)
Eight watches

Phew!
Some of our clocks require engineering degrees to figure out how to change them, especially when you only do it twice a year. You can't remember which doo-hickey on the clock to press to make the time advance. So it takes me an HOUR to go around setting the clocks forward an HOUR, which means I actually lose TWO HOURS of my life during the spring switch over.
What is this world coming to?
Of course, if you don't like Daylight Saving Time, you can always move to Hawaii, Arizona and parts of Indiana. Each of those states have requested waivers from the government and they don't observe it. So they must never be late for church there.
PS - Don't forget to also change the batteries in your house smoke alarms.
And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol...you have 8 watches??? :) And to think I was sweating taking links out of one. That makes me laugh. You have plenty. Thanks for shopping at Target! :)