Wednesday, January 7, 2009

THAILAND


Ten ladies from our church left for Thailand today. Joelene was one of them. Our Life Development Pastor, Lisa Kurman was another. After over 20 hours of flying, they'll be touching down and then splitting into two groups: one group to Chang Mai in the north to work with refugees and the other group (Joelene's group) going south to Pattaya to work with women and girls involved in the sex slave trade. It's quite the industry in Southeast Asia. They'll BUY the young ladies, in essence, for a day - and take them to a Center to minister to them in various ways. This is Joelene's second trip there in a year. She is made for this kind of thing so I'm happy she has these opportunities. I look forward to hearing from her more often than last year. We have Skype this time. So I'll update you as I hear things.

That means I'm a bachelor for eleven days. Well, almost. Our 18-year old daughter, Olivia, is home but she's got a very busy life already so I'm not sure how much she'll be around. Even so, she and I will negotiate the laundry, cooking, cleaning, dishwashing, general house duties and feeding of the dog between the two of us. When Joelene is here, there is NO negotiating.

I'm also 'alone' at the office. My administrative assistant, Sylvia, is on the trip, too. Sure, other people from the office are picking up a lot of her work, but it's not the same. She KNOWS me. So if you see me bumping into walls over the next 11 days, it's because my two life-lines are in Thailand.

Pray for me.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a columnist at the New York Times, Nicholas Kristof, that has been very supportive of the work Christians have been leading in Southeast Asia and in Sudan/Darfur. His latest column talks about the horrors of the sex slave trade and gives an idea of what the women of our church are up against.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/opinion/04kristof.html?scp=1&sq=kristof%20thailand&st=cse

I pray that the women of our church make a difference!

Anonymous said...

Hello PK! I realize how hard it is for you "guys" to stay grounded when the "lifeline(s)" are away. You and Olivia are more than welcome to join the Harvey family for dinner this week, please pick an evening that works for you both and we are happy to have you with us. From Wednesday on...this way all of the children will get to spend time with you as well. Blessings to you, I am praying for the Thailan Team! Julie

PK's BLOG said...

JULIE:
So sweet - I was halfway JOKING, like I always do on here. But thanks so much for the invite. I DO have a couple of 'things' going mid-week on, but I'll have to see about that. Really do appreciate the invitation. :)