Friday, January 9, 2009

PAIN

I received news from a friend today who is in pretty serious bad health and unless God really comes to an earthly rescue, my friend's rescue is going to be heavenly - and soon. Which isn't at all bad - for my friend. It's just bad for US ... who remain. And even THAT isn't all bad; it just FEELS bad.

I agree with Brad Bright in 'God is the Issue' when he says he is often 'perplexed by the way Christians in the West think. Somehow we have gotten the nutty idea that God's blessing means we will be free from pain ... but Jesus didn't think that. He sweat great drops of blood before being beated and killed. Peter didn't think that. He rejoiced that God had found him worthy to suffer for the name of Jesus. Paul didn't think that. He was beaten, shipwrecked, imprisoned, hungry, thristy, cold and naked - by his own account. They all understood firsthand what pain was.'

I'm still going to pray for a miracle for my friend - but I will not let my faith in God waver over it no matter what happens - or what kind of personal pain comes as a result of it. That is not fatalistic thinking; I'm asking God for faith to rise in my heart for my friend ... and then be a very firm believer that 'all things work together for good to them who love God and who are called according to His purpose.' That is exactly the way my friend feels about it, too.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

JCsings4Him said...

We will join you in prayer!

Last Sunday morning, we were praying for Maralyn Mathias (not sure if you knew the Mathais'...missionaries to Finland, Maralyn was diagnosed with ALS about 18 months ago) right around 10:40...for God's healing and comfort and she went home to be with Jesus at 10:35!

I will miss her writings; but I am so in awe of God's hand is every situation such as this. If you want to read her last blog post, just go to my site and click on Missionary to Finland on the right of the page.

Keep us posted! :~)