Sunday, January 18, 2009

COMMUNITY

Join the voting at right - two polls - the first based on the Jan. 16th blog - the second based on the Jan. 14th blog. Thanks.

I believe the best possible chance for life transformation happens within community. When people in the first century accepted Christ, it was inconceivable that they would accept Him and not tie in with community – which was defined as ‘the church.’ No one lives in isolation. It’s not even scriptural. We need the body of Christ.

As time has gone by, some churches have gotten away from the New Testament model of bringing people together in such a way that you know what’s going on in my life and I know what’s going on in your life – where there is a natural sense of belonging and where individuals can authentically care for and care about one another because they’re doing life together.

There’s a temptation to believe there’s God – and there’s me – and we’re mostly on two different planes. I pray to God, but He usually ignores me. Every now and then He answers a prayer or two and shows up in some unique way – but then over THERE, I have my marriage and my friends and my business and my work – and hopefully, occasionally, God shows up over THERE – but there is this barrier between God and everything else in my life.

But not only does the Bible not teach that – the Bible teaches AGAINST that. Even though your relationship with God is PERSONAL, it was never intended to be PRIVATE.

More than FORTY times in the Bible the words ‘one another’ are written. That means there are more than forty commands from God you can't fulfill without authentic community.

Our greatest regrets at the end of our lives will be that we failed to have meaningful relationships with people who would really love us and give us a sense of value and belonging.

AUTHENTIC COMMUNITY … SMALL GROUP LIFE … is where its at. Get on board.

As a very special P.S. – TODAY is Joelene’s birthday – and her first day back from 11 days in Thailand – CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME HOME!

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really liked your sermon today. It reminded me how eager I am to find a new small group. It's been a while and I miss it. I agree with you very much...when I was very much involved with other believers from church, I felt like I was growing, the right way.

A very, very Happy birthday, Joelene!!! :) Welcome home...I look forward to hearing more about everyone's trip. I think you all are wonderful to go on missions to help these young people in very desperate circumstances. We have so much to be grateful for here.

God bless...Kathy