Friday, January 23, 2009

BLENDING


I did two kinds of blending today.

ONE: I put some ingredients in a blender and made myself a smoothie. I'm big on that. I love smoothies and I've been making them for health reasons and just sheer pleasure for many years now. I'm kind of back in the swing of it full force after slacking off for awhile.

There are a THOUSAND combinations of fruit smoothies you can make. I've created dozens of them on my own without consulting a book. Here's the one I made today ...

3/4 cup of orange juice
1 cup crushed ice
1 frozen banana (peeled)
2 oranges (peeled)
2 small scoops of low fat vanilla ice cream
1 single-portion container of lemon yogurt
Some protein powder
BLEND THE SNOT OUT OF IT -- and you have two nice, tall glasses of scrummy fruit smoothie.

TWO: The other case of 'blending' happened at the grocery store. I was walking in (to buy fruit for my SMOOTHIE), when I approached a woman who looked very familiar, but I wasn't sure. Happens to me all the time. She lit up once I got close enough for her to see the whites of my eyes and she said, "Pastor Kevin ... you blend right in with everyone else" (i.e. - just like a "NORMAL" person).

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to make of that or what to do with it. I just smiled and said, "Why, thank you - so nice of you to say."

But INSIDE, I was thinking -- WHAT?!!! I'm not sure how I'm SUPPOSED to look. Truthfully, after I walked on, I was glad she had said it. That's exactly what I want to do - I want to blend in - at least with how I walk and dress and just 'do life.'

Where I DON'T want to blend in is how I show compassion and love for people - how I might stop to help someone in need - the words of grace and blessing I might give, even to a stranger - the smile toward someone in the grocery aisle - the values I ascribe to and how they are played out in my life daily.

Jesus said, "You are to be IN the world, though not OF the world, yet sent TO the world."

IN it -- that's the blending.
Not OF it -- that's the shaking.
Sent TO it -- that's the spreading.
It isn't difficult doing ONE of those. Accomplishing TWO at once is trickier. But trying to live out all THREE simultaneously - well - we sure do need God for that one.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the first Man of God that I honestly feel like I can talk to and relate to. When I went to Catholic churches, I never felt like they were "normal" people. I always felt like I was doing the wrong thing, saying the wrong thing. They were "up there" and I was "down here". I like your honesty and how you tell us how you have regular feelings like all of the rest of us. :)

JCsings4Him said...

Scrummy? Did you just make that up?

I'm gonna go out tomorrow and buy all that stuff cause it sounds...well...scrumdidilyicious!

PK's BLOG said...

JC:
Well - I've used that word for years, but actually I heard it decades ago from - um - er - Dame Edna Everage, otherwise known as Barry Humphries.