Monday, December 29, 2008

TARGET

Please participate in the "GRANDPA NAMING" poll at right (see the 12/28 blog).

I was at TARGET today getting some links taken out of a Christmas watch when someone from church approached and we chatted for awhile. She had both of her young children with her and we talked about what Christmas had brought them this year. Turns out they got a Wii, which is way cool.

The truth is - (despite the new 'grandfather-to-be' status) - I've never really been all that good around children other than my own. The joke around the church staff is, if the kid doesn't cry at child dedications when I pick him up to pray, well - that's a big WIN for me.

So the really funny part of the impromptu TARGET visit today was - out of the clear blue, the little girl said to me: "Would you babysit us?" Just like that. "Would you babysit us?" Which really caused the confidence in my new status to soar.

So thanks to that family (you know who you are) for the conversation in TARGET today - and for the little girl. I'd babysit you, by the way.

I'm still watching that GRANDPA-NAMING POLL very closely. Please vote.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oggy? Bammy? Doo Dee?.......seriously?! You REALLY have to find a name. Although I did get a good laugh over the dilemma of the Italian word for grandfather. Going on the ethnic idea, here's a few names from my own heritage:
SCOTTISH- AULD FATHIER (sounds dangerously close to old father, though.)
NORWEGIAN- (formal) GODFAR (informal) MORFAR; literally means mother's father.
IRISH- ATHAIR CRIONNA (means "father of the heart," kind of cool but a little hard for a 2 year old to say.) A more simpler name is DAIDEO (dad-do).
GERMAN-OPA (very easy. the Germans don't mess around with formality.)
Honestly, what American kid would ever use these names? They just sound neat. A name will come; something you all will be able to live with. And pronounce!

Anonymous said...

My Dad was very clear when we were expecting the first grandchild in the family; he would be called "Grandpa". So while we did our best to change his mind since Bob's dad too was going to be "Grandpa"..he wouldn't hear of it. That is until the day that Lindsay looked at him and called him "PopPop". Let's just say that he dropped the "Grandpa" in that moment and will forever be known in our family as "PopPop" and he couldn't have been more proud. Lindsay was only a year and a half when my Dad went to be with the Lord but she already anticipates seeing "PopPop" in heaven. Mark asked Jesus into his heart last week and we celebrated his decision and all that it means..one day he will get to meet his "PopPop" for the first time. So I have to throw "PopPop" out there in honor of a very special "Grandpa". So excited for you and this special season in your lives!

PK's BLOG said...

AUDRA:
Yes - call me eccentric. Those were my personal top choices on the poll. I appreciate you offering more names, but you'll just confuse me now. LOL.
ATHAIR-CRIONNA -- ?? WOW! That would make me sound like a Norse God, wouldn't it!?
And the Norwegian/Swedish group is taken. Whitney's husband, Sam, is full Swedish and his parents have already claimed the mor-phar combos.