Tuesday, December 30, 2008

PIZZA

This in-between period from Christmas to New Year's is kind of an 'off' time for blogging - re-grouping, thinking, etc. I'll get back to the 'serious' stuff in early '09. For now, it's kind of random, but it's great for me to end the year on this note.

We were in Minneapolis a few days around Christmas time visiting our older daughters and their husbands. Our youngest daughter, Olivia (18), was with us. We had a great time opening gifts, going to the Mall of America, visiting the St. Paul Conservatory, riding the light rail (train), going to the movie "Valkyrie," more shopping, eating out, hanging out together, etc. It was awesome. I wish we lived closer to one another.

One evening, we stopped for pizza at a swanky little joint where the pizza was 'smokin'' - and I mentioned to the waitress that 'we would take the check for the whole group.' By "WE," I meant Joelene and me. But the waitress pointed to my youngest daughter, Olivia (18), who was sitting right next to me and said, "Oh, you two are going to cover it?" And she was completely serious. You should have seen the look on Olivia's (18) face. It is the second time at a restaurant that a waitress has put my youngest daughter and I together as a 'couple,' which according to my youngest daughter is - well - GROSS. The last time was five years ago when we were out for a special 'date' at Olive Garden. She was 13 and I was 44. That, in fact, WAS gross.

I told her it was a way big compliment for ME - and maybe even a way big compliment for her (that she looks far more 'mature' than her years). But she didn't buy that. Or maybe it was a combination of both. In any case, it was a nice pump-me-up for a guy about to become a Grandpa. (VOTE AT RIGHT - see the 12/28 blog)

Just as a side note: After the pizza, we caught the light rail to get from downtown back to the Mall of America. We had some extra pizza left over in a box. Joelene saw a man who appeared to be homeless walking the streets. She offered the pizza to him. His question back to her was: "What kind of pizza IS it?" Apparently he preferred MEAT on his pizza (which there was).

Just another DAY IN THE LIFE.

Happy New Year --- and be blessed.

No comments: