Friday, December 12, 2008

GOODWILL

I thought I would make it personal on the day I wrote my 200th blog post -- so here goes ...

I love GOODWILL. I don't mean the 'peace on earth, goodwill toward men' goodwill - although I'm in favor of that, too. I'm talking about the GOODWILL INDUSTRIES INTERNATIONAL goodwill ... the place you go to buy other people's throw-aways. I'm SOLD on it.

I would say that the percentage of Goodwill items I wear on a weekend to church (at least from the waist up) is easily 50% purchased from local Goodwill. If you just count what I wear to the office during the week, that number rises to 75%, conservatively speaking. Whenever I tell people that, they seem incredulous. "YOU shop at GOODWILL? ... You bought THAT at GOODWILL?" Yes, yes - I really did. Looks pretty good, doesn't it? I bought six shirts there today.

I don't know what the big phobia is -- all you need to do is give the item the 'once over,' checking it for wear, tear, zippers, buttons, stains, etc. before you buy it -- and then have a good washing machine -- and you're set. Almost every shirt is $3.99, period. They sell Perry Ellis, Hilfiger, Polo, Armani, Cole Haan and others. $3.99.

And the last thing you hear before you leave the store is this: "Thank you for supporting our mission." Every time.

Goodwill International was founded in 1902 in Boston by Rev. Edgar Helms, a Methodist minister. Rev. Helms collected used household goods and clothing in wealthier areas of the city, then trained and hired those who were under-resourced to mend and repair the used goods. The goods were then re-sold or were given to the people who repaired them. The system worked, and the Goodwill philosophy of "a hand UP, not a hand OUT" was born. Rev. Helms' vision set an early course for what today has become a $3.2 billion non-profit organization. Even with a laudable history and record of accomplishment, Goodwill won’t be satisfied when so many people still need their services. They have a goal to improve the economic self-sufficiency of 20 million people and their families by 2020. Times have changed, but Helms’ vision remains constant. “We will press on till the curse of poverty and exploitation is banished from mankind.” Nice.

My own personal reasons for shopping there aren't quite so lofty. I'm there more for the $3.99 - but I love the friendly atmosphere and the 'Hellos' and 'Merry Christmases' from the cashiers. Today, the woman in line ahead of me was so excited at buying an entire teapot and saucer set (it was beautiful) for less than $10. I could tell from the way she was talking that it was destined to end up under someone's tree - except she probably won't be divulging that she got it at Goodwill. She had an ab roller, too. I'm not sure who the unlucky recipient of that will be, but ......... then, another woman was standing up near the front door, having purchased her items and waiting for a friend, and she was whistling at the top of her puckered lips the tune to "Winter Wonderland." She was pretty good, too. If my whistler was working (which it never is), I would have whistled some harmony with her. But she was going to town on it like she was at the Grand Ol' Opry and didn't care who was listening or not listening. I was listening.

So, it's reasons like that (plus the $3.99) that I love shopping at Goodwill. I wonder what Joelene would like for Christmas from there this year.

Here's to you, Goodwill. Way to go!

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for kind words about Goodwill!

Michelle, Goodwill of Northern New England

PK's BLOG said...

GOODWILLNNE:
Entirely my pleasure. I love what you guys do - how you are faithful to your 'mission' - and the great clothing is a bonus. Thank YOU!