Wednesday, December 17, 2008

DISENGAGEMENT

I don't know if your brain ever just disengages or not. Chances are, if you're like a lot of people I've talked to, yours does. Mine certainly does.

I can be sitting in my office listening to someone talk about some issues they're having and --- I guess you'd have to understand that my office has one very long glass wall that looks to the outdoors, which means the sun can really come beating down on me while I'm facing the windows and listening to someone pour their heart out to me --- and all of a sudden, I feel myself staring into the sky not having heard anything they just said. Once I nearly fell asleep right in the middle of an office counseling session. OK, I've done that two or three times. Disengaged.

Sometimes I'm driving along in my car and the next thing you know, I'm blocks and blocks past the place where I should have turned. I don't know how I got there in the first place and don't remember any of the past five minutes of driving -- which is really frightening. Disengaged.

Take today for instance. I was returning a wiper blade to Auto Zone because the one I bought didn't fit on our SUV (that's a whole 'nother story - actually, I broke the wiper blade assembly that was part of the vehicle trying to get the new blade on). So, I ended up taking back one of the wiper blades for a refund. I did the transaction with the guy at the cash register, got my money and was at the exit doors when the cashier said: "Sir, were you returning that item?" And I was kind of thinking to myself: 'Yeah. Duh. We just did a transaction on that, didn't we?'

But do you know WHY he said that to me? Because I had picked up my cash credit from the counter AND picked up the returned wiper blade package and was attempting to leave the store with BOTH. I was all the way to the door with my hand pushing it open ready to leave with the returned item when he called out after me.

To which, when I realized what I was doing, very sheepishly replied: "Umm. Sorry about that." Disengaged.

I wonder if God ever disengages when we talk to Him like He we have something more important on our minds -- or like He doesn't matter -- or like He's not really the Creator God of the universe - or like He's our Errand Boy - or like He's a Magic Genie. I doubt He does, but I DO wonder.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Dr Phil said...

Twice in the last two weeks, I have driven right past my driveway. When I "came to my senses", I was not even sure where I was in relation to my driveway. Of course it was dark. Is that OK as an excuse??

PK's BLOG said...

That's NO excuse.

LA Nickers said...

Yep.

Been there:

A DAY TRIP, at NICKERS AND INK

8-)

Happy Snow Day!