Tuesday, October 21, 2008

SPEED

A few years ago, a poll came out listing Kenosha, Wisconsin one of the most liveable, safest cities in the United States. I guess I was a little surprised. I mean, I love Kenosha, but "THE MOST LIVEABLE - SAFEST CITY IN THE U.S.A.?" Wow! High praise indeed. I don't know that it retains that status, but at one point, according to one poll, it did.

Having recently been in Manila, the Philippines, I guess I know why. Driving is WAY safer here. The traffic in Manila was amazing. Cars, trucks, buses and jeepneys (think a Jeep with a low bus attached to the back of it - seating comfortably for 16 - if by 'comfortable, you like sweaty, shoulder-to-shoulder-ness) vying for the same space with slivers of daylight in between vehicles - whizzing by left and right. Not only that, but I don't think I've ever been in a city where the traffic was THAT backed up. To travel 5 miles routinely takes an hour. If you want to go 10 miles, better plan 1.5 to 2 hours - every day.

So on THAT basis, I guess the relative slow pace of Kenosha is a blessing. And then, I was reading some of Alan Nelson today and he was saying that 'speed kills.' Maybe.

He was saying, and I agree, that in his work with churches seeking change, he's heard more than his share of horror stories of change attempted too fast with disastrous results. But the problem was really a readiness issue, not speed itself.

With the pace of life today, I'm convinced that LACK of speed is more dangerous than moving too quickly. We feel satisfied to do what we did last year, making ministry 'tweaks' instead of significant improvements. We're at far greater risk going too slow than going fast.

Just like Alan Nelson, I hit the big 5-0 next year - in 2009. It's way down in September, so I have tons of time to pout about it before it actually happens - and hopefully I won't be saying that too much over the next 11 months - I'll try not to. But this whole thing of speed on my behalf may have something to do with that.

If you're in that place in life - or close to it - you're probably like me and Alan - contemplating what you're going to do with the remaining years God has given you. Does that sound morbid? Not at all. It's exciting. And we probably shouldn't delay in driving change. Life is too short and eternity is too long to putter. So -- pick up the pace.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what are you going to do with your remaining years? What haven't you done in your ministry that you want to?

I hope to pick up the pace again soon. I was going along at a good clip for a while, too. I have just lost some joy, some love and some heart. I feel hopeful that this too shall pass and I will recapture my passion for God and the Kingdom.

LA Nickers said...

Saluting this post
with a bona fide toast.

Of course, Pastor, this one will not raise any eyebrows . . . 8-)

A FINE WINE, at NICKERS AND INK