Friday, October 10, 2008

SHENZHEN, CHINA


Shenzhen, China is a city of about 12 million people, lying just north of Hong Kong. It is one of the busiest ports in all of mainland China. That's where I am today. The whole city is only 30 years old, which is amazing considering it's present-day population. Before that, it was just a small fishing village. One of the largest Super Wal-Marts in the world is here ... multiple stories high.

We visited a factory today where they make bluetooths. Really fascinating.

The people here are lovely ... so courteous and kind ... very smiley and sweet. It is a joy to be around them.
My food stories today are:
I ate a fish head.
I ate this deep-fried-shrimp-thing-including-head-and-eyes-on-a-skewer-that-had-been-alive-five-minutes-before-it-went-in-my-mouth thing that tasted awesome.
Along those same lines, CHOPSTICKS have to be two of the most frustrating things known to man on the planet today. How people EAT with those things is beyond me. We have eaten almost every one of our meals with them - no forks - no spoons - how many meals so far? Eight? And I'm no better at it NOW than I was when I started. This trip is more than about FOOD - WAY more - but right now, that's all I'm telling you. :)
More upon my return. WAY more.
And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should use your chopsticks like a skewer...so at least you can eat. Um, I'm sure no one would notice... :)

I'm beginning to think you would eat anything that is not nailed down. Too many creepy, crawly things for me. I wouldn't want to eat anything that is staring back at me. I would feel too guilty.

So, when is the next date that you will be giving the sermon at KFA? Rumor has it that you are retiring. Ok...not really.

BTW, we don't want to hear about Wal-mart...just Target--a nice, new Target, actually. They pay me to say that! :)

Try to get a good nights sleep. Hopefully your accomodations are good and comfortable. Speaking of which, that is exactly what I am going to do. Night...