Thursday, October 9, 2008

HONG KONG


OK folks -- I'm in Hong Kong - have been for a couple of days now -- Today is Thursday -- or maybe it's Wednesday -- or possibly Friday -- I'm really not sure. It's 10:30 p.m., I DEFINITELY know that.

I don't know how many times on the trip I'll be able to post - the next few days don't look real promising. But I wanted to slip this one in here when I had the chance.

The harbor at Hong Kong is absolutely stunning. It is big and beautiful and at night, where I just came from a vista overlooking the entire harbor, is not to be missed (if you ever get here). It rivals any harbor I've ever been in. At 8 p.m. every night, the skyscrapers literally come alive. They LIGHT UP and do a laser show and the buildings change colors - some are outlined and flash - for about 15 minutes - to music piped in overhead. It's amazing. That's it in the picture above.

For lunch today we had what they call a 'dimsum' lunch. "Dimsum" just means "small portions" basically. And that's what they were. Picture yourself at a large round table with ten others - and a giant lazy susan on the table constantly rotating these little hors d'oerves of Chinese fare. You can take as much as you want and eat until you collapse (which is how any decent American treats such a buffet).

So, the lunch provided today was an assortment of the following:
Rice wrapped in seaweed. I, of course, was the only one at my table who actually tried to eat the seaweed wrap ALSO. After my third bite someone at the table told me I wasn't supposed to eat that part. So I stopped. At least you can say THIS for me, I'm the same in the States as I am anywhere - stupid.
A mushroomy shaped thing covered in gray sauce ...
A green cylindrical shaped vegetable - no, not green beans - no, not celery - no, not asparagus - no, not that other vegetable you're thinking --- as of yet it is unidentified.
A clear-skinned thing filled with brown stuff ...
A puffy white thing filled with off-white stuff ...
A squishy meatball thing ...
And a lot of other stuff I can't even begin NOT to describe.

But you know what? It was all very, very yummy. Very good.

OK - that's it for now. I'm dead tired. I had a 19 hour flight (combination of flights) to get here -- and they ran us from 7:30 a.m. till 10 p.m. both days so far. I'm dead. Not literally.

I'll talk to you again before my trip is over, hopefully. If not, please be patient with me. I'll fill you in day-by-day upon my return with real details.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear you are well... very tired, but doing ok. The harbor in Hong Kong looks beautiful!

It's funny you should mention the seaweed. I went to a buffet in Arizona with my brother and sister-in-law and I ate some sushi wrapped in seaweed. No one told me you weren't supposed to eat it...lol! So, you aren't alone. C'est la vie! Or whatever you say in Chinese.

It will be good to have you back on your home turf and to hear what you are doing. Take care of yourself. I can't even imagine you on a plane trip for 19 hours, not to mention the long days you are putting in. The important thing is that you take care of yourself. I am sure that you need your energy for your ministry and God's work there. We'll see you soon!

Dr Phil said...

WOW! Dallise and I envy you... We think! I'm about to eat chicken and pasta. It's not wrapped in anything clear skinned, black, brown, seaweed or nothing. Enjoy. Do good God things while you're there.

Dr Phil said...

WOW! Dallise and I envy you...we think! I'm about to eat chicken and pasta and cabbage. It's not wrapped in anything clear, brown, green, black or nothin'. Enjoy. Do good God things while you're there.